Chapter CXLV - Bechloe: Babysitter

Start from the beginning

"Because this is mommy's good living room. I'm not allowed in here so she never looks in here to find me."

"Why are you hiding?"

"Because she can't go to work if she can't find me."

Beca felt a hairline fracture in her heart. Beca wasn't really a fan of kids but the twenty-six-year-old needed money and she heard that babysitting was a good way to earn some cash and now that Beca had landed a job as Chloe Beale's babysitter, she knew she would get paid handsomely.

"Why don't you come out here, buddy, and talk to me?" Beca offered but Charlie shook his head.

Beca then got off the couch and approached the boy and sat next to the couch where he was.

"You don't like it when mommy goes to work all the time, huh?" Beca asked.

"No," he shook his head.

"Do you miss mommy a lot?"

"Yeah."

"Do you wish that mommy would spend more time with you?"

"Yeah."

"I get that. I wanted my dad to spend more time with me, too when I was a kid. I didn't have a mom so it was just me and my dad."

"I don't have a daddy."

"Do you wish that you did?"

The boy nodded.

"I wish I had a mom. We're a lot the same, aren't we?"

He nodded again. "Are you my babysitter?"

"I am. Mommy says that you don't like babysitters."

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't like them."

"Is it because you want to spend more time with mommy instead?"

He nodded.

"So... do you think that if you get rid of the babysitters then mommy will have to come and look after you?"

"Yeah..."

Beca nodded. "I get that. I do. I was the same."

Charlie's eyes lit up. "You were?"

"Yep. I just wanted my dad but he had to work all the time, which sucked. So I can understand where you're coming from. It's hard not having your parents around when that's all you want."

"I miss mommy when she's gone... She doesn't spend time with me..."

Beca's heart cracked a little more. "What would you like me to do for you then, bud? When I'm looking after you, what would you like me to do so that we can have fun and you can start to like babysitters again?"

"Can you get mommy to stop working? And could you tell her that I miss her?"

Beca had to swallow the lump in her throat. Beca was quite thick-skinned and she had been through a lot throughout her life but something about Charlie's plea got right to Beca's core. Perhaps it was his bright, blue eyes that he shared with his mother or perhaps it was the way he looked so vulnerable or perhaps both?

"Well, I can't promise that I can get her to stop working but I can tell her that you miss her and would like her to spend more time with you. How does that sound?"

Charlie nodded. "Good."

"Good. Now, how about we get out of here before mommy catches you? I don't want you to get in trouble, do you?"