Chapter LXXXIV - Jessley: What Are Friends For?

Idea by user50906314

Ashley's POV

The first time you heard Jessica scream was during your first year at Barden. You were in the dorm next to hers and you were very concerned. You texted her and asked if she was okay. She told you that she just had a nightmare and that she was fine so you didn't question it. However, when it kept happening, your concern grew. Jessica had frequent nightmares and she eventually told you that she got a mix of nightmares and night terrors. You thought that she was very brave for telling you so you decided to help her and once Jessica had a vacancy in her dorm, you moved in to hers.

She woke you up a lot in the middle of the night with her restlessness and her screaming but you comforted her the best you could. Her nightmares and terrors subsided for a while until it came to spring break and the end of the year where everyone would go home to their families for Christmas and New Year. When that time came, her nightmares and night terrors got worse and it was really bad when Jessica came back from seeing her family. You didn't know why she got so bad during that those times of the year but it only made you study Jessica more.

You watched her carefully whenever she interacted with people and you saw that she was always nervous around men. She would usually shy away from them and pretty much isolate herself from them but when she was with the Bellas, she would flourish. She stayed well away from the Treblemakers, even at the aca-initiation party, she made sure to keep her distance. That wasn't the only unusual thing about that night. You noticed that Jessica was very skittish, especially when it came to loud noises and, in particular, bangs. When the fireworks went off, it was if Jessica was in the Vietnam War since she ran away from the noise and her ears and closed her eyes to drown out the sound.

You found her curled up next to a tree where she was on the verge of tears. You asked her if she was okay and she told you that loud noises frighten her to the point where she has to run away and hide. It was extremely unusual behaviour and you had the biggest desire to ask her why she got so scared but you knew the situation was delicate so you didn't. Instead, you comforted her and left the party where she calmed down. She asked you to stay the night and you did and you made sure to look after her until the following morning.

That was a year ago now and you're still trying to figure out who Jessica really is. You've just come back from your vacation with your family over the spring break and you're the first one back in the Bellas House. You had to come back early since your parents had to go on a business trip but you don't mind. You go into your room and start unpacking your things and that's when you notice that you're not alone. You hear a noise coming from downstairs so that's where you go. You reach the bottom of the staircase and you see Jessica coming in from outside into the kitchen to get a drink.

You look closer and you see that she's been crying. The sight makes your heart crack and you're not sure if you should leave her or go to her but she spots you before you can decide. You greet her and ask her how she is. She says that she's fine but you know it's not true. You ask her why she is crying but she says that it was nothing to worry about. You want her to tell you and you're getting a bit exhausted asking all the time and her saying that nothing is wrong when there clearly IS something wrong. You ask again and you get the same response. You try to tell her that it's okay but she snaps at you and rushes upstairs.

You're left in a daze because Jessica has never snapped at you before. You two are best friends and you're pretty sure you're in love with her but have been too scared to do anything about it. You want to give her space but damn it, Jessica is the woman of your dreams and this isn't the first time you've caught her crying. So, you take a deep breath and march upstairs and into her room. You find her sitting on her bed with her knees to her chest as tears fall down her cheeks, Thankfully, she doesn't tell you to leave so you take that as your chance to approach her and console her.