Chapter CXXXV - Staubrey: Black Dog

"I think the Bellas are overexaggerating a bit," Beca stated as she and Chloe approached Stacie's apartment.

"Well, it's better for them to overexaggerate than for them to be right," Chloe added. "I still can't believe Aubrey broke up with her. They were so in love..."

"I suppose."

"Come on, Bec, they were. Stacie used to go above and beyond for Bree and she made her so happy. They were sickly in love. Stacie was the only one who could get Aubrey to calm down. She was the only one to get Aubrey to loosen the reins. She was Aubrey's weakness."

"Not anymore. Aubrey's always been selfish."

"Beca!"

"What? She has! She broke up with Stacie because it was supposed to be "easier for them". What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Who does that shit?"

"I know Aubrey is very work-orientated but I don't believe that she would have broken up with Stacie to hurt her. I really DO think she did it out of their best interest as she told me."

"Their best interest? Really? That's what you're calling it?"

"What would you call it?"

"Aubrey being a fucking bitch and choosing her career over her girlfriend who loves her more than life itself."

Chloe pursed her lips and sighed. She knew Beca didn't necessarily like Aubrey. They had their good and bad days but this was the last straw for Beca. When she heard that Aubrey broke up with the leggy brunette, she was sad for her friend but then got angry when she found out the reasoning behind it. Aubrey was a lawyer and she was good at her job. So good that she got a promotion, which required more hours at the office and more complicated cases. Aubrey was always a workaholic but as soon as she got her promotion, she decided to focus solely on her career and unfortunately for Stacie, that meant their relationship of ten years had to end.

That was two weeks ago and the Bellas grew concerned for their fellow Bella. Even though the women were scattered all throughout the country, the news of Stacie and Aubrey's breakup reached them all immediately and over time, they believed that Stacie had declined, which led to the present moment - Beca and Chloe paying a visit to the woman to make sure that she was okay. Beca thought that the Bellas were overexaggerating but Chloe being the total mother that she was, decided to check up on Stacie, dragging Beca along.

"Listen, before we go in there, I just need to remind you to put on your sympathetic and empathetic hat," Chloe said once they reached the door of Stacie's apartment.

"What do you mean that I need to put it on?" Beca frowned.

"Becs, I love you but you're not always great in these kinds of situations."

"I'm getting better!"

"You are but if Stacie is as bad as the Bellas say she is, we need to be extra sensitive and go slow. Stacie loved Aubrey so this would be devastating for her. Just think about if we broke up, how would it make you feel?"

"I'd jump off a bridge before I'd live without you."

"A little dramatic but it's good that you've put your empathetic hat on." Chloe shot Beca a wink then rang the doorbell.

"How would you feel if we broke up?" Beca asked.

"I wouldn't cope," Chloe answered. "I'd have to buy hundreds of dogs to help with the pain and even then it wouldn't be enough."

"So, I jump off a bridge for you but you just go and buy dogs? It seems a bit unbalanced."

Chloe tutted, gently swatting Beca's arm. "You know what I mean. Shut up now, I don't want to think about that."