Chapter XXXIV - Bechloe: Long Road Down

Idea by CBClay

Chloe woke up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, which wasn't the first time. She had nightmares before but it was always the same nightmare of when Beca left her. Beca. The love of her life. The woman Chloe was planning on marrying and starting a family with. Chloe had been with Beca for nearly eight years. That was a long time. They had met at Barden University and it was love at first sight. They did everything together and they fell more and more in love with each other the more time they spent together. Chloe had even failed Russian literature three times so she could stay at Barden and be with Beca until Beca graduated. They graduated together then moved up to New York where they lived in a tiny apartment with their fellow Bella Fat Amy. Beca worked at a recording studio and Chloe was training to be a vet. Things were tight but they knew it wasn't going to be like that forever.

However, one day things changed and not for the better. Chloe never forgot Beca sitting down with her and saying that it was for the best that the two of them go their separate ways so they could focus on their careers. Beca wanted to move to Los Angeles where her dreams laid while Chloe was pursuing a career as a vet in one of New York's top vet schools. They both wanted different things but they still loved each other. Beca said that it was because she loved Chloe that she wanted to go her own way. Chloe, of course, was heartbroken and did everything she could to change Beca's mind but the brunette was set. The following week, Beca moved to Los Angles, leaving Chloe's heart shattered. Beca hated to leave Chloe like that but she really did think that it was for the best.

Years later, Chloe still hadn't gotten over Beca. She dreamed about the woman and had nightmares about when they broke up. Sometimes, Chloe would wake up in tears. What made things even worse was that Chloe was living in her tiny apartment alone. Fat Amy had flown over to Australia for a little while to see relatives and expand her one-woman show. Chloe had been alone for a few months now and she was managing fine by herself since she used to have to support Fat Amy with her hardly contributing to anything. Now that Chloe was alone, she was doing fine but she was lonely. Chloe hadn't been alone ever and now that she was, she was hating it. When she wasn't interning at her local vet clinic, Chloe was alone and more often than not, she would think about Beca and how they used to be. It hurt Chloe deeply and she tried to stop her thoughts but it was hard since Beca was the love of her life. Part of Chloe thought she still was the love of her life, even if Beca hurt her. Chloe always loved so easily and forgave easily but forgiving Beca had proven difficult over time.

It was a cold winter evening and Chloe was curled up in her bed with a mug of hot chocolate as she read through one of her vet textbooks. Chloe was nearing the end of her vet training and she was getting closer and closer to being accepted into New York State Veterinary Hospital - the best vet practice in New York. Chloe studied hard to get good grades and she always passed with flying colours. NYSVH was looking extremely good for Chloe and she was looking forward to moving on with the next stage of her life.

Just as Chloe was in the middle of reading her textbook, a knock sounded on the apartment door. Chloe frowned. She wasn't expecting any visitors. Chloe never got visitors and if she did, it was usually one of the Bellas and they would have called first. Chloe put her book and drink down as she got out of her warm bed and went to the door. Chloe unlocked the door and opened it and standing before her was Beca Mitchell.

"B... Beca?" Chloe just managed to say.

"Hey, Chlo," Beca smile faintly.

"What... what are you doing here?"

"I came to see you. I... don't have anywhere else to go."

"You don't have anywhere else to go? What do you mean? I thought you were living the high life in Los Angeles?"