29. Finally Whole

Our dreams and stories may contain implicit aspects of our lives even without our awareness.

Jimin stood by the seashore and stared into the vast expanse that was the sea. His mind wandered and took in the beauty that was the blue waters meeting the sky in the horizon. The feeling of the sand disappearing from below his feet as the waves hit the seashore soaking his pristine white linen pants was therapeutic in its own way – relaxing even. It had been a long while since he had been to the beach and he cursed himself for letting life slip by. He closed his eyes as the salty breeze brushed against his face and listened to the arguing seagulls and soothing sounds of the roaring waves. It was peaceful here.

He felt a small tag on his pants and he looked down. Brown eyes met brown as he stared at his younger self smiling ever so brightly. “Gosh! I must have been one of those annoyingly chirpy kids huh?” he asked his younger self.

“Hi!” younger him waved at him with a wide grin plastered on his face.

He smiled and waved in return.

“It’s nice to see you again, I missed you,” younger him says. He crouched down to match the height of his younger self.

Jimin hadn’t fully understood why parts of his childhood remained fuzzy, especially between the age of five and nine. He wondered why suddenly, he kept going to this particular part of his childhood. He also came to the realization that his mother never quite talked about that period in their lives. He wanted to know.

“It’s nice to see you again too,” he beamed hesitantly biting back the urge to ask questions he had for his younger self. I mean, how could nine year old him have the answers?

“Don’t you think it’s time for you to go back?” younger Jimin asked effectively pulling him out of his thoughts.

“Why?” he whined. “I like it here. It is so peaceful,” he responded as his gaze span far across the ocean. “I want to stay here always.”

“You are still whiny as ever,” younger him responds – a response that takes him by surprise. But then again, why would he be surprised when he knew he was sassy and feisty as a kid. “But you have to go back,” younger Jimin whined, “What will happen to mom? What about the people that love you? What about Jungkook?”

There is so much truth in the words of his younger self. His life had just began – the most important part for that matter – and he wanted to live it up and enjoy it to the fullest.

He had to go back.

Jimin’s unconscious state had everyone worried but at least, the worst had passed. According to the latest report from the doctor, the swelling in his brain had gone down and the he was stable enough to breathe on his own so the ventilator had been taken off. All that needed to happen now was for him to wake up.

It had been four days now. Four days of Jungkook not leaving his side, four days of his insisting on being the one to give him his bed baths and basically taking over the nurses’ job. Four days of him driving the hospital staff insane.

Work had been informed and all projects he was in charge of had been put on hold. Honestly, there wasn’t anyone as competent and knowledgeable as him and the company thought it wise to wait on his return before proceeding with everything. Besides, holidays were approaching and it wouldn’t hurt if everything was pushed to resume in the next year.