7. Missed Connections

I've got friends that will run through walls
I've got friends that will fly once called
When I've nowhere left to go
And I need my heroes
I've got friends that will run through walls
-

Jungkook

First day at work.

I got the feeling like I was back in high school when I reported for my first day at the new school. Don't get me wrong, I have always been confident in who I am and in my abilities but this is my first professional gig. I have never worked in and corporate environment and not knowing what to expect left my nerves were frayed and me on edge.

Would I meet the romanticized version of the corporate world that I saw often in American television dramas of would it be the complete opposite with building pressure and lack of personal time? I was used to working in a relaxed environment and with my dad as the boss, I had no pressure.

The guard stationed at the door of the building gave me a slight bow with a smile as I stepped into the building with my heart beating miles a minute. My mind was all over the place from the wee hours of the morning.

I had woken up at 4.30 a.m. and wasn't able to get myself to fall back asleep. So, I made myself a cup of hot chocolate and with a light blanket sat on the balcony and watched the city slowly wake up. A sleepy Tae found me in the living room nursing my second cup of chocolate and came snuggled next to me on the couch.

"Nervous?" he asked sleepily.

"Mnhhh..." I hummed in response. I did not trust my voice to sound confident so I resorted to humming in response.

"You will do great! Trust in yourself," he replied as he struggled to stay awake. His warmth against helped to calm my nerves a little and I let him fall back to sleep. I envied him because he had two more days before he had to report to his work place.

"Now!" A now fully awake Tae clapped his hands together loudly as he stood up. "Let's make an impression!" he added with a mischievous grin. I looked at him funny, wondering wat he was talking about.

Reading my confusion he said, "There is no way I am going to let you look drab on your first day. Honey, you are going to make a statement!"
That said, he cupped my face with both his hands, blew me a kiss and disappeared into his room coming back with a massive box wrapped with a lavender coloured bow.

"This, is my gift to you!" He beamed.

"Congratulations on your new job!" he said dramatically. "You deserve the best and more."

"Really?" I said in disbelief. I was short of words as I pulled him into a hug.

"Open it! Open it! Open it!" He said in quick succession excitedly.

I reached out to pull at the bow on top of the box then paused. He looked at me in wonder, "But I didn't get you anything," I said with a pout. "I c-can't take this. This is..." he put his finger on my lips to prevent me from speaking further.

"You can't say no. At least not yet... if you still don't like it... well... then I will just have to find a new mannequin," he shrugged.

I rushed to open the box excited to see what was inside. Nothing Tae ever made disappointed; every item was just as mesmerizing as the next.