Chapter 16

*Jem Carstairs pov*

I really didn't expect so much for our wedding. All I really wanted was to marry her. That's all I had wanted for a hundred years. I had been hit multiple times for almost seeing tessa in her wedding dress. Ironic I was hit by tess Lightwood when Tessa's first wedding dress was ruined by a lightwood. Watching all this happen reminded me of our first almost wedding. Damn yin fen. Before I could even think about Tessa's ring we had flown the entire wedding from NYC to London. I don't think the London institute was prepared for the storm the nyc institute was bringing. I let them fuss over my wedding while I wondered the halls of my old home. There was one hallway that looked at though it had not been touched in years. That hallway made my heart near break. The dust has settled on the old paintings. The old paintings of past institute runners. I stopped at two of them. A portrait of Will hung infront of me. Next to it the portrait of Henry and Charlotte. This was our hallway. I went further into our hallway. I was about to open the door to my old room when I heard a sound behind me. expecting it to be tessa I was suprised to see a small girl.
"Is this your hallway?"
"My hallway?"
"My mom says heroes used to live down here. And we aren't to disturb this hallway. It's been this way for years."
"heroes?" I echoed her. I had reached my old bedroom.
"Jem. Jem carstairs." I looked around. The little girl had inched closer to me. Trying to get a peak into my room.
"Why do you know so much."
"Because I am a young child. and my curiosity always gets the best of me."
I didn't reply back but I opened my old creaky door. For a moment I thought I saw Will, but I shook my head and he disappeared. My bed looked the same, rumpled from my last time there. In less than 2 strides I reached my table. The sliver box still gleamed. I opened it and the sickly sweet stench of drugs filled the air. I almost vomited.
I slammed that box shut and stormed out. I marched right into the old drawing room. It was the same as my room, not used in at least a century. I took the wood still left and threw it into the fire place.
"Mr, I don't think that will work." the girl said from the door. I ignored her and took the matches, getting a flame on my first try.
I threw the match in watching the old dry wood go up.
I opened my box and threw in every speck on yin fen. The smell filled the room making me dizzy. I heard foot steps running down the hall and heaving breathing as the other double door flew open.
"Jem!" tessa yelled
"Jem what are you doing." she repeated.
"he's burning his sugar." the girl piped up. Tessa turned to look at her.
"his sugar?"
"his sugar, the sweet smelling stuff that he through in the fire."
"I burned my yin fen." I said flatly.
"I almost had a heart attack smelling that shit." Tessa said.
I looked at her curiously, she didn't normally swear, especially modern swears.
"I don't know what to do with the box."
"what do you want to do with it?" she put her hands on my shoulders.
"burn it." and I through the goddess into the fire.
I felt little guilt watching the metal melt away. Instead I felt grief in the old drawing room.
Once my yin fen fire had burned up I went back to my old room. We're i again saw the illusion of will. It was stronger in Will's room. I couldn't shake the illusion of him. I could even hear him saying my name.
Jem, Jem, Jem, Jem, Jem.
I went back to my room, when I couldn't shake the voice. I found tessa sitting on my bed.
"remember when you ripped my corset in half. You did that right here. On this bed."
I started laughing
"I do remember. I might have been a little-"
"hotter" she smirked at me.
"Ridiculous. Women swoon over me left and right."
she stopped laughing.
"You remind me of will."
"this whole place reminds me of them all" I replied.
"I couldn't go into my room."
"I'll go with you."
I took her hand and headed across the hall.
"I can almost see church running around with that note tied to him." she smiled
I opened the door, the silence was overwhelming.
Tessa turned on the lights that must have been added.
"He died here." she whispered so quietly I almost didn't hear.
"I remember."
the closet door still hung open, were
jessamine's old dresses still hung.
"Tessa?" she had sunk to the floor next to the bed. she wasn't crying, but just stating around.
"bitter sweet" was all she said.