Chapter 4

*will pov*

I woke up early the next morning, I showered and put on my nicer clothes. I was fixing my hair when I heard a soft knock on my door. I ran to open it expecting Rosalie, but I opened it to find Jem, smirking at me.
"Hey, what's up?"
"Nothing love monkey,"
"I do not like her. She's just pretty." I said.
"Well then come on, or were going to be late."
"I'll get her." I lightly knocked on her door. She opened the door seconds later like she was waiting for us.
"Hi." She said stepping out and closing the door.
"Hey." Me and Jem said together.
"Jem right?" She asked.
"Yep." Jem replied.
"You hungry?" I asked. She just nodded. She still had this haunted look in her eyes from last night. You could tell she had cried herself to sleep.
"Let's go then"
We went down the hall, the closer we got the louder the voices got.
She stopped us right outside the door, taking hold of our arms.
"You guys don't have to be so nice. You don't have to take me in."
"Yea we do. Our mom would kill us. Plus the institute is for all shadowhunters." Jem said
She looked back at the ground. I looked at Jem and he just shrugged his shoulders. We went into the dining room, the laughter stopped when all eyes set on Rosalie. Rosalie stepped all the way behind Jem.
He cleared his throat,
"Hey guys, this is Rosalie. She um,-"
Rosalie stepped out from behind him.
"I kind of showed up in your front hall last night." Everyone stared at her.
"Something came to my parents house last night and chased us out. They got my parents, but I got away. This was the first place I could think of to run."
"Rosalie Whitelaw?" Uncle alec asked.
"That's me." She answered. Uncle alec didn't say anything for a while
"And you said your parents are dead."
"Yes. Killed by 2 demons."
She didn't collapse or cry on jems shoulder, So that was good.
Surprisingly Tess was the first one to speak up.
"Well thank god your a girl. We need more of them." Tess smiled and Rosalie smiled back. Thank god for Tess.
Tess turned to us
"Don't just stand there like idiots. Sit down eat." I sat down in my usual spot, next to Jem. No one was laughing anymore, except Tess and Rosalie. Everyone was watching them intently, like they were afraid she would explode.
"We're going to Rosalie's old house to get her stuff." Looks of concern passed over everyone's faces.
"Who's we?" Asked my mom.
"Me, Jem and Rosalie obviously."
"And me." Tess added.
"Yea and Tess."
"Alright, just be back soon and be careful incase those demons went back."
We left right from breakfast heading into the cold. Tess and Rosalie stayed Infront of us, occasionally laughing.
"You think she's pretty?" Jem asked randomly
"Well duh, don't you."
"I never really thought about it. I just think something weird is happening, you know."
"You think she lied to us?"
"No I believe her parents are dead by the hands of a demon. I just wonder what they did to provoke them."
I thought about that,
"Yea I guess." We stopped Infront of a apartment building. It looked fairly nice, but as we went up the stairs the smell of demon got stronger. The door was destroyed like something had eaten through it.
"Tess put that weird stuff down."
"Weird stuff?" She asked.
"That stuff that finds the demons." I said.
Tess took it out of her pocket and laid it on the floor. It didn't move right away so we seemed clear. Tess picked it up and we walked in. Our seraph blades were the only light source in the apartment.
"My room is in the back" Rosalie said moving Infront of us. The apartment didn't seem to be badly destroyed.
"That's my parents room." Rosalie said pointing. The door had been ripped from the frame, I looked in and everything was torn apart. I left the room, entering a smaller room next door. The room was a light blue color, everything was intact, the demons hadn't entered this room.
Rosalie and Tess had already shrunk some of the furniture and were putting it in boxes. I moved to help Jem pack up her clothes.
"Why are we doing clothes?" I asked out loud.
The girls sighed and traded spots with us. They began throwing clothes into boxes with the little furniture,
"How are we going to get all this back?" Rosalie asked. I looked at Jem and grinned. He took a stele from his pocket, drawing a rune on the wall. The wall began to morph and shimmer. The wall glowed blue. Jem stood Infront his eyes closed until a picture of the institute showed on the blue wall.
"Portal."
"How-" Rosalie began.
"They have powers." Tess rolled her eyes.
"Don't be so jealous Tess"
"I'm not."
Me and Jem began taking boxes through the portal, setting them on the front steps. The girls appeared minutes later with everything else. Jem moved to close the portal. But he stopped, then we all heard it.
Hisssss hisssss hissss.
We drew our blades. Jems biggest mistake was closing the portal, as soon as he did it the demons behind it began to grow grow in size.
"JEM" I screamed. But I was to late. The demon spit, and Jem flew against the wall the demon spit sizzling on his skin.