Chapter 1

(Boys are 16 now)

*jem pov*

Big james moved with the grace I had only seen a silent brother move with. And he watched me and Will when we trained all the time. He always had this happy look in his eyes too. Especially when me and Will disagreed he would laugh and smile. I assumed it was because over the years, the memories with his parabati had come back. It had been 4 years since he and come, and James was like a second father. I had watched James and Tessa to. They kept to themselves mostly. Tessa sometimes would twist a pearl bracelet on her wrist with a sad smile, or touch a jade pendant on her neck. You could tell they loved eachother very much. That's what I was doing right now, we were all at the breakfast table. I was watching tessa and james until james looked up at me and smiled. I quickly looked away, looking to will who sat by my side. He had cut his pancakes into tiny strips and was forming pictures with them. I laughed

"That looks like a-" I stopped and looked and Tess on my other side and stopped.

"A penis" Tess finished. Will looked up and grinned at both of us.

"TESSA" Aunt izzy scolded.

"WILL" Our mom shunned. Will quickly ate his penis shaped pancake and dragged me and Tess down to the training room. Will climbed up the bar and launched himself off, flipping in midair.

"Did you really bring us here to show off." Tess asked.

"Well if your interested, the show is in town." Will gestured at himself smirking

"No thank you" Tess said smacking him.

"Will, Tess, Jem" my mom came in looking grim

"Your not going to yell at me because of my penis pancake. Because I'm willing to forget it if you are." Will asked.

My mom shook her head laughing.

"By the angel. No. Mission. Rouge vampire."

"Oh joy" Tess sighed.

"Yes quite. Now go change."

We ran down to our rooms down the hall.

"DAMN IT" I heard Will yell. "MY TOE"

I laughed out loud shaking my head.

"My brother." I sighed.

"I HEAR YOU LAUGHING JAMES HERONDALE" Will yelled back.

"WOULD YOU STOP SCREAMING AND CHANGE." Tess yelled loud enough for Will to hear.

"SHUT UP TESS"

"SHUT UP WILL"

"SHUT UP BOTH OF YOU."

It was quite for a while, and when we emerged Will came out hopping on one foot scowling.

We ran down the hall to meet my mom at the front door. She gave us information, but it wasn't much I needed to know. Kill the vampire. Keep Will and Tess from killing eachother. Come back with no injuries. Same thing every time. Will was playing with the tip of his sword poking Tess's hip. She was slapping his hand scowling.

When mom finished, she just sighed like she knew none of us were listening.

She opened the door and shooed us out into the bitter cold air. We walked around for a long time.

"Hey Tess, why don't you call out for a lover and maybe he'll come running."

"That was the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I mean you have to come up with something better than that."

"Whatever."

"Shut up."

I rolled my eyes. They fought like brother and sister. It was awful. They continued quietly bickering when I saw a shadow pass across the being.

"Guys shut up please. It's close."

"It's...." The vampire hissed behind us."I'm a man you weak children"

We spun around to face a vampire, his face was dripping in blood. Will sighed in disgust. The vampire creeped closer to us and i unsheathed my sword.

"Don't come closer." I said. Grinding my teeth. He came so close my sword tip touched his chest.

"You cannot do anything skinny shadowhunter"

"Hey. Shut up pale freak" Will said

Anger flared in his eyes. Tess didn't say anything she just glared at the vampire.

The vampire looked at the three of us.

Then like a blur infront of my face will jumped out attacking the vampire. The vampire moved quickly and within a second he had Will tied in his arms.

"God damn it Will." Tess grumbled.

"I got this" Will said. I knew what was coming.

"Will DONT." But it was to late. Will had sunk his teeth into the vampire. The vampire bellowed and threw Will to the side. That was my que to stab the thing. My blade went straight through the vampire and he went up in a cloud of black smoke and dust. I coughed and swatted away the smoke to see Will coughing blood and spitting. And Tess scolding him. I stomped over to him. And slapped the back of his head.

"Dude. Don't hit a man while he's down."

"Don't bite vampires then." I rolled my eyes.

"You knew the plan."

"I told you not too. Come on we gotta get back or your gonna be a pale freak."

Me and Tess dragged Will back to the institute. When we opened the door my mom stool immediately looking at the pale Will in our arms.

"Did he?"

"Yes. Yes he did."

"My god."

"I know."

James and Tessa came in the hall way right then.

"What happened to Will." James pointed at Will groaning at my feet rolling around.

"My brother, my genius brother, bite a vampire"

James and Tessa laughed out loud.

"My god it's like there the same person." Tessa had her hand over her mouth and she was laughing. She looked up to the ceiling and smiled.

"Thanks."