The start of training

12 YEARS LATER

*Will pov*

When Jem trained with me it felt natural. Like there was nothing we couldn't do together. We had agreed to be parabati and the ceremony would take place soon. Jem had taught me knife throwing, while I helped him sword fight. Jem was tall and skinny, but you shouldn't underestimate him. I was tall, but better built. Neither of us looked much like our mom and dad. We actually didn't look much alike, except our hair. We had the same hair.

"Jem, Will school." My mom called

Me and Jem moaned. School was horribly boring especially botany class. But I only had a week left before I got my first rune. Then I was done.

But I dropped my sword and Jem dropped his and we followed my mom out the doors. Uncle Alec taught us along with uncle Simon and aunt Izzys kid Tesaa. ( I'm going with Simon getting back his memory and becoming a shadowhunter -Erin )

When we got to the library Tessa already had her nose in book and dad and Uncle Alec were joking around. My dad was cool, he could flip and jump off anything, and he could beat anyone in a sword fight. My dad said he would teach me his secret when I was older. I took a seat next to Tessa and Jem sat on my other side. We poked at Tess until Aunt izzy flicked our heads. Tessa was younger than us but she acted older. She studied, she was mature, she was always reading. Uncle Alec tapped a ruler Infront of our faces making me jump and accidently poke Tess in the eye.

"My God Will, your gonna get it." Jem laughed. Tess hit my face making my cheek sting. I rolled my eyes, while Jem continued laughing.

"Boys. Tess." Uncle Alec said

"Yes uncle Alec" we said in unison.

"Because I like you, I'm making this your last day of school. From here on out, you will train and be sent out. You will no longer attend school. In one week your first runes will be put on you." I tuned him out from there. I looked and pretended to listen, but his words just buzzed in my ears. I couldn't wait for my runes.

"Will!" Jem hit the ruler on the table snapping me back to focus.

"What!" I said looking up from a book on the table I had been looking at.

"Do you plan on sitting here forever." He raised his eyebrows. "You didn't listen to a thing uncle Alec said did you?" He asked.

"Yes I did."

"But you tuned out after a while."

"You know me to well brother." I laughed. I got up and followed Jem back to the training room.

----------------------------------------------

WILL JEM AND TESS RUNE CEREMONY

*will pov*

The silent brothers creep me out. Their faces were like gray and the sewed mouths. Don't even get me started on the whole no eyes thing. We were all sitting in the library when 3 of them came in silently. Followed by Grandma J and Grandpa Luke and 2 other people I didn't recognize. The silent brothers moved with no sound at all and they stopped infront of me Jem and Tess. The others went by our parents behind us. Grandma J hugged my mom and dad smiling.

"Do you William Herondale swear to follow the duties that the Nephilim ask you of." The silent brother spoke in my mind. I heard the Chinese man and the women I didn't recognize gasp when they heard my name. I didn't know why. I gulped.

"I swear." He took out a stele.

"Hold out your hand and receive your first rune." I held my hand out.

He pressed the stele to my hand and started to draw. The stele stung on my skin. Like Tessa was digging her nails into my skin over and over. When the stele was removed, I looked down at the bold black voyance rune pulsing on my skin. The silent brother turned my arm over and I almost jumped, his touch was freezing. He pressed the stele to my forearm and the stinging returned. Though it hurt less. He removed the stele and the guidance rune pulsed on my arm. I knew when he finished that I was facing North.

"You are now fully Nephilim." The silent brother said. He moved on to Jem doing the same. And then Tessa. They gave her a strength rune first because she was younger than us. She beamed when they finished. The silent brothers left as soon as they finished. Leaving us to celebrate.

The women and man came over to us first.

"You remind me so much like him" she women whispered to me. She had tears in her eyes.

"I'm sorry miss. But who?" I asked

"My husband. You were named after him. Your parents have such big hearts. I'm honored to have them added to the family"

"Thank you miss. I'm honored to remind you of him. I'm sure he was a great man." She started crying then. The man took her hand.

"This is Tessa herondale , and I'm James Carstairs ." Big james looked at Jem.

"Nice to meet you sir." Jem stuck his hand out. They shook. James and Jem looked shockingly alike. They could have been brothers except Jem was pale like mom with black hair like mine, and big james was tan and had brown hair. Big Tessa took us and hugged us. She looked at us and left.

"I'm sorry" James said. "Her husband and my parabati-"

"Will" I said.

"Yes Will. You look shockingly alike. It's hard on both of us. You both will be great men. I hope to see you again." He smiled and left. My mom came over and hugged us both tightly.

"My boys!" She cried.

"Mom you didn't tell us we were named after people." I interrupted.

"Will," Jem chided.

"You were named after amazing men from your fathers past. We knew when we saw you guys that you could be just as amazing as them." My mom smiled. And that's how our day went. Me Jem and Tess being congratulated over and over. Hugged us over and over. When the crowd died down, I snuck away to the training room. I through knife after knife at the targets. Trying to get the bullseye.

"My Will could never quite get it either." I turned to find James and Jem together in the doorway.

"My Will can't either" Jem laughed.

"I can too" I defended myself.

James came over and took my arm. He guided it and flicked my wrist. The knife sailed straight to the bullseye.

"I hope you don't mind me and tessa staying and helping train." James smiled.

"I don't think I will" I said.

And we trained through the night. The 3 of us, flips, knife throwing, sword fighting everything. My mom finally found us and sent us to bed. I dreamed of what James's will might have been like. He was a hero, and good man. When I woke, I was proud to be named after him.