aɪ | twenty-nine

Jungkook tried to convince himself it was okay

Jungkook tried to convince himself it was okay. That he and Kiara were going to work it out. "Distance is nothing, timezones can be worked around," was what Jungkook kept telling himself. He didn't want to let the woman he loved go, didn't want to return to being single.

It had hit Jungkook hard when he picked up Misun from ballet lessons on the usual Wednesday and he watched Kiara surrounded by kids and their guardians as she was bidding farewell to each child. Kiara looked beautiful, as always, with a bright smile fixed over her face, giving each child the same amount of attention. Jungkook realized Kiara won't be in Korea for a long time.

The thought bothered him, fluttering inside of him and it grew into something negative, something unpleasant. When Misun ran up to Jungkook after her class, she hugged him tightly and exclaimed happily about Kiara's lesson and her antics during the hour they had been dancing — he realized Misun will no longer have the same experience during her lessons anymore, she won't have Kiara to guide her through the hour she looks forward to every week.

And that's when the bitterness started.

The feeling had hit Jungkook even harder that same night when they finished having sex, they collapsed into each other as they come down from their high. Jungkook was hard and relentless with his thrusts, not giving Kiara time to breathe with each sharp move forward.

Fearfully, Jungkook asked, "When are you leaving? For Paris? When are you required to be there?" Jungkook wasn't sure why he asked. He didn't want to hear the answer, didn't want to start preparing for the inevitable countdown that's looming over their heads. They were doing a successful, and unhealthy job of ignoring the topic of conversation, acting like there's not a deadline date that hangs between them, causing each passing minute to be more heated than the last.

Kiara was quiet for a long moment before she sighed. "A month. Four weeks. I'm booking my flights soon."

A wave of dread washed over Jungkook as it was replacing each previous thought of optimism with complete disbelief and distrust. Although he dealt with something like this while he was with Jieun it was still very tough.

They were going to be busy. There was going to be an eight-hour difference between them, the distance between Paris and Seoul being unbelievably far. Jungkook wouldn't be able to reach Kiara with one phone call if he needed to, couldn't take a short trip down to the studio or her apartment, can't meet her halfway, he can't express his worries openly if there are thousands of miles separating them.

It can't work out. It just won't work out.

"Babe, are you okay?" Kiara was whispering the question, a hint of apprehension was shining through.