Chapter forty

Guys, I apologize for the long wait. To be honest I have written this chapter three times already only to start over again because I didn't like it.

This chapter in my perspective is much better than the previous drafts so I hope you guys enjoy and hopefully it makes up the long wait.

***

The only sound that transpired in the dining table was the soft clattering of chopsticks against the bowl. Izuna and Madara did not speak or utter a word and he did not rush to break the silence either. They ate in tranquility, each in their thoughts; however, Shisui would send subtle glances to the Uchiha patriarch from time to time. He couldn't trail away from the slight ashen haze that was found in Madara's eyes. And recollecting how the other had been squinting at his arrival, it had him connecting unpleasant dots.

The gentle knock on wood broke the transaction of silence in the room temporarily, every chopstick pausing in their action. Madara ever so mannered dapped at his mouth with a silken handkerchief and cleared his throat before speaking.

"What is it?"

"My lords," the silhouette behind the tatami door screen shifted to a bowed position. "I apologize for this untoward interruption. But I have brought the required information that Izuna-sama had requested."

Two pairs of curious eyes shifted to the said Uchiha who was a professional at ignoring those he deemed insignificant. Izuna mimicked his brother's mannerisms before arising and excusing himself.

Shisui returned to his food with maybe a slight pursed to his lips, feeling inexplicably disappointed at the silence from the other.

If even Madara had shrugged and gone back to his food without rising any questions or seeming too bothered about it, so should he. But that didn't refrain him from letting out a long, pitiful sigh...so much for acting matured and composed.

"Are you worried about my brother?" A modulated voice spoke, its question almost making him choke on the mouthful of rice.

Shisui cleared his throat a little too loudly for his ears, making him wince and helped himself with some water before swallowing. He wiped at his mouth with modern born skills, making sure his face gave nothing away as he replied.

"I'm just," careful. He needed to consider his words carefully. He needed just the right amount of concern for someone that was responsible for him leaking through his voice but not too much as to be creepy and raise some eyebrows. "...I don't like being separated from him."

He froze. Madara froze. And even the room came to a stop, as it took his peculiar way of sentencing words. At last Madara in a perturbed, slow, chillingly way placed his wooden utensils across his rice bowl and fixed his dark charcoal eyes on him.

"What do you mean by that?"

Shisui swallowed thickly, feeling sweat start to gather on his hairline, and face scorching bashfully. Why, oh, why does he always had to blurt out bizarre things when it involved Izuna. And how was he supposed to explain anyway? It means exactly how it sounded.

He was deeply embarrassed and wished that he was anywhere but here in this moment. "You know," his mouth felt dry, he tried hard to control the shakiness in his voice. "He brought me here...s-so I feel reassured when he's around...since I don't know anybody."

Madara's intense pewter eyes softened, the stillness of the room dissipating and Shisui was consternated at the abrupt change of air.

"Yes, of course." A slight frown marred the older Uchiha's features, he blinked, shaking his head as if to clear the fogginess it accumulated in there "That's reasonable, you just joined us."