50 | Popcorn Movies

SUTTON50

SUTTON
50. popcorn movies

I slouched against the back of the couch, a happy smile on my face. The cushion sunk as I palmed the remote next to me. I ran my fingers along the buttons.

"Now, what do we want to watch?"

Someone closed the refrigerator.

"An action movie. Definitely." I heard Dakota call out as the aroma of popcorn seeped through the connecting kitchen and living room. My mouth watered.

"I don't know," Harlowe went around the couch, holding one of Dakota's stuffed animals in her arms. She sat on the ground, placing the stuffy in between her crossed legs. The brown deer clashed against her strawberry pajamas. She collected her blonde hair before putting it in a lazy top bun. "I like romance." 

Dakota faked a gagging noise as she popped something into the microwave. A ripple of chocolate hit our noses.

"That's because you have no taste."

Harlowe turned around and stuck her tongue out at her, "I have taste."

"Yeah, and I have a dick." Dakota opened the microwave early as she rolled her eyes.

A sly smirk slid onto Harlowe's lips as she inched herself off of the floor."What's so wrong with romance movies, Dakota?"

I turned my body around to see Dakota pause, lost in her thoughts before she pulled out three bowls from her kitchen cabinet. She popped open the bag of popcorn and poured it into the bowls. "They're cheesy and annoying. That's what."

I watched as Harlowe sneakily hid behind the small wall that concealed a portion of the kitchen from the living room as Dakota poured melted chocolate onto one of the bowls filled with popcorn.

"Or maybe," Harlowe drew out just as Dakota was leaving the kitchen with the bowls in her arms, "it scares you!" And she popped out from the wall, scaring the shit out of our sweatpants-wearing friend.

"Shit!"

Dakota jumped and popcorn flew around her.

I laughed as Harlowe scurried away, giggling. She jumped onto the couch with me.

We peered over the couch, meeting with Dakota's fiery glare. We stared as a small piece of popcorn fell from her hair and onto the ground.

"I hate you all, seriously." She growled as she placed the bowl onto the ground and began picking up the discarded pieces of popcorn.

"I'll help you." Harlowe slipped off the couch.

I was about to get my lazy ass up too, but my phone started to buzz on Dakota's glass side table. I picked it up quickly and saw my mother's face on the screen.