05 | Advantage

SUTTON05

SUTTON
05. advantage

After the whole crying extravaganza, I sat on my bed as my mind raced. For the first time in my life, I didn't feel like fighting, all I wanted to do was crawl up into my bed and never leave.

But I'm not a bitch, so instead, I texted the people I knew I would need advice from the most.

After triple checking, I made sure that Silas wasn't here.

He was probably out...

I swallowed the huge gulp of disappointment before leaving the apartment in my sweatpants and a t-shirt.

"God... you look like shit." My best friend, Dakota said as she brought us a tray of drinks as we sat down in a cafe shop called Meraki.

"Thanks," I grumbled as I grabbed the warm tea off the tray, bringing it to my lips before blowing off the stream.

"Dakota!" My other best friend, Harlowe chided.

She shakes her head at Dakota before leaning over towards me. "It's going to be okay, Sutton. You just gotta get up and pick up the pieces."

Dakota rolled her eyes, "yeah, right. And while you're doing that, go crawl back home to your family and cry to them."

"Dakota! Shut up." Harlowe slapped Dakota's arm.

"What? I'm right, okay!" Dakota brought her cup of tea to her lips and took a gulp.

How does that not burn her fucking tongue, is beyond me.

"So what? You fell in love with a jackass. Every girl in our generation does it, at least twice a day. It doesn't fucking matter. There's nothing you can do about it but suck it up and move on!" She scoffed.

"Don't pick up the pieces and hope for a better tomorrow, use this to your advantage! Hook up with someone, go on a weekend bar extravaganza. Or if you're like Taylor Swift, write a catchy pop song about it." She smiled at me before standing up from the table.

Dakota looks down at her watch before collecting her purse. "Gotta go, I have classes in about thirty minutes." She starts to walk out of the cafe shop before turning back towards me.

"Use this to your advantage." She points a well kept manicured finger at me before turning back around and leaving.

The small bell on the door's sound lingered as a new idea popped up in my head.

"Oh no." Harlowe groaned before pointing at my face. "I know that look, it's the I-have-an-idea-so-don't-bother-talking-me-out-of-it look. I dread that look. "

And I glanced at her worried face before smirking.

I did have that look because I realized if I was ever going to get over everything and move on with my life. I was going to need to destroy the one thing in my way; Silas. All I needed was a dribble of manipulation, a pinch of a new outfit and one asshole boss to do the job.