44 | A Dream Come True

SUTTON44

SUTTON
44. a dream come true

I placed the comb down on the counter as I felt the cold water drip down my neck. Slipping my head underwater seemed like a great idea while I was crying and trying to forget everything I did, but now I was suffering through a plunge of laziness and a head full of soaked hair. I'm officially a dumbass.

With a small prayer in my mind, I sectioned my hair. I raked through my sectioned part with leave-in-conditioner first before combing through my curls. I made sure I had gotten every last strand then I braided back my hair. Once I was done, I had 5 cornrow braids going down my head.

I rolled my aching shoulders as I picked up my dirty clothes and left the bathroom. Dropping into my laundry basket, I plopped onto my bed. My eyes glanced heavenward and the memories of the past three hours had hit me, bringing tears back to my eyes.

I'll admit it: walking away from the house and going into the taxi, I had sobbed. The words he had said were replaying in my mind, and sadly, he was right. I had been defending Silas, I've always had. I've always been pawning after him that I had never experienced something else, anyone else like the way I wanted to experience it with Silas. So when Keegan and I started our relationship, I could see why he thought I was with him to get to Silas. But not everything Keegan said was right. I never used him as a substitute for Silas. At least, I didn't try to. I did care for him. I still do. But now that it's over, my mind keeps reminding me of everything that we said, and all I can do is sit down and lose focus.

I felt a few salty tears slip down my cheeks. The grief came to me in waves, each one stronger than the other. My body fell from under me and my back had hit the mattress. I felt the material of the green gown underneath me and that broke me some more.

I wanted to be bitter. To spill hatred into the air and never feel anything but that was a lie. I already had let someone become my weakness, and I was too stupid to learn from my mistakes. So did it again, and just like with the last person, I had gotten hurt. I could hear the sound of something cracking and I knew it was my heart.

I waited for a while as I felt the tears pool in my eyes before overflowing. With each blink, fell a droplet of water begging to be wasted.

My stomach grumbles and I remembered that I hadn't eaten since breakfast, this morning.

Slowly, I push myself off my bed, wiping away my tears as I walked out of my room.

It took four simple steps to the kitchen before I heard a familiar voice slur out into the silent room. The voice was filled with disgust and contradiction but it still made me cringe.

"Well, look at that. Sutton's decided to grace us with her presence."

I come to a steady stop at the refrigerator.

"Not now, Silas," I muttered as I opened the door and relished in the cool air that had hit me.

I shut my eyes. I'm too broken for his bullshit.