11 | Bully

SUTTON 11

SUTTON
11. bully

My mind drifts away as I remember a long-forgotten memory with my mother.

Her body blocked the tiny television in front of me as she bent over to study her 6-year child who sucked on her red popsicle as a bunch of twists hung from her head.

"Mommy?" My eyebrows shot up as I tried to lean to the side. Blue from Blue's Clues was about to place the clues and I was going to miss it.

"Sutton." My mother spoke and instantly my head snapped towards her.

She lowered herself to the ground and balanced herself on knees. She paused for a second, her eyes staring elsewhere before she finally focused on me.

"Promise me something, will you, Smiley?" She smiled sweetly at me as she called me by my nickname. I returned a happy smile before nodding.

"Promise Mommy that if anyone says mean to you, you'll always be a big girl and walk away." She slowly days and my eyebrows furrowed before I cock my head.

"But Daddy says that I should never allow a bully a pick on me. If they do then give them a beating!" I smile before balling up my tiny fist and throwing small punches in the air.

My mother laughs before she nods, "and he's right." She then boops my nose and I giggle. "But there's a time to fight and there's a time to walk away. Be careful of which one you pick, Smiley."

She quickly kissed my head before leaving me to go back to my show...

I shake my head, escaping my trance and falling back to the present.

I realize what's going on and wish that I would be able to drift away again.

Keegan held me on his arm as he talked to a couple of old men who seriously kissing his ass right now. They smiled and laughed at almost everything he said even if it wasn't funny at all. He didn't seem to mind though which irritated me. I glanced the glass of champagne in my hand and longed for it to be something strong. Wine? No. Beer? Nope. Vodka? Hell yeah!

I draw the cup up to my lips and take a quick sip as I feel a thousand strong glares against my back.

Here's a question for any mathematician. What do you get when you add up a bunch of nosy ass, snobby rich people, one middle-class girl and a bitch who hasn't learned to shut the fuck up about you? Let me answer; a whole hell of angry people, me being one of them.