29 | Punches

KEEGAN29

KEEGAN
29. punches

"Yeah, California is crazy. It's expensive as fuck but the kids love the atmosphere." Jaxson slouched over the couch, his legs wide open as he held the glass of whiskey in his hand. I watched it swish around in brown circles as he smiled at his father who held a beer in his hand as he sat in an enormous pull-back chair, a husky chuckle left his lungs. Small snores were heard from the tiny girl who fell asleep on her older brother's lap. Jaxson's hand slowly caressed Freya's curls away from her face as she drooled on his jeans in a blissful dream.

I peered curiously at the sleeping woman beside me. Her head leaned against my shoulder as she curled up close to me. Her ponytail had unraveled, leaving her hair to create a stunning halo around her in beauty. Her mouth rested ajar as she took soft deep breaths. I think for the first time since I've known her, her mind wasn't working on new ways of keeping everyone around her at an arms reach. Her face was peaceful. I reached over and tucked a lock of her dark brown hair behind her ear and away from her face causing her to stir faintly, her nose crinkled as her brows knitted in a frown. Almost instantly, I brushed my thumb over the lines in between her brows and down the bridge of her nose and watched as her body released the tension and relaxed.

Memories crashed into me as I remembered a certain person doing this to me as a child. I shook off the feeling by staring at the grandfather clock which ticked steadily, changing the 9:27 pm to 9:28 pm. South Dakota was 2 hours behind us in New York so it didn't surprise me when Sutton started to rub her eyes by 8.

Sutton's mother, whose name was actually Deka, came over towards us from downstairs after talking to Silas who continued to sulk in the room we were sharing.

I didn't have a problem with the man himself, whatever he was dealing with in his head didn't include me. The only thing that irked me was Sutton. How he treated her, how he utilized his power in manipulation, and how she allowed him. I could feel my jaw clenching as I thought about it. She loved him, I knew that and even though I hated to admit it, I understood. It's in her nature to love those who call themselves broken. That's how she is, she can't help it. No matter how many times she tries to fight against it, she does. But I'm not going to lie, there was a piece of myself— a large piece— that hoped she would forget him and remember herself. But I can't force that on her so I just watch her. Her steady breath and I wait. Wait until the day she leaves him packing and starts something different for herself... maybe taking a chance in myself too.

I shake my head, ridding my mind of those thoughts before reciting the rules we implemented at the beginning of all of this; too afraid to realize that the more I reminded myself of them, the more we tended to break.

1. If all is revealed, pretend to not know what's happening.
2. It ends when Keegan and Sutton both acquire what they want. When this occurs, the couple will split ways and continue the boss and employee relationship.
3. All of Sutton's anger will be hidden from the public and any disturbances will be dealt with by the couple together.
4. Weekly planned dates for public attractions.
5. All contact is allowed but kiss and sex are prohibited.