49 | Stars

•••••••••••••••••

• RECAP •

After shit hits the fan with Sutton and Keegan, both decide to cancel any further contact with each other. As both spiral into unforeseen consequences, Atlas, Keegan's sister confronts him about his feelings, while Sutton travels down the rabbit hole that is Silas' past.

•••••••••••••••••

SUTTON
49. stars

I walked into the empty apartment, silently thanking Silas for not changing the locks. I looked around. Everything looked the same but it felt different. I felt different. The weight in my mind was lifted and I finally knew what to do. I have been sitting on the sidelines for far too long. Always trusting what was familiar and never leaving my box of comfort. I blamed others for them as well, hurting those around me because I was too scared to see the truth. I want to do better.

I stepped towards the couch we spent months trying to buy. I smoothed out the couch cushion before taking a seat. I placed my purse onto the side table beside me and pulled out my phone. There were only a few text messages. Two from Dakota, one from Harlowe, and another from a random number asking about a subscription. I click off my phone and place it onto the side table, not ready to answer anyone.

I yawn as I watch the sunset in the windows. A cascade of warm colors flows into the silent room.  I stretch my legs onto the couch, realizing how much sleep I had lost in the past few weeks. With moving this morning and dealing with Silas' dad, my body had tired itself out. The last thing I remembered was the sounds of birds slowly chirping a weary lullaby before passing out on the couch.

The air waved calm and cool around me before it was disrupted by the slamming of a door. My eyes opened and I saw how dark it was. The stars shined brightly in the sky as the moon brightened the darkroom. I heard a body stumble into the apartment.

"Fuck," they muttered.

I pushed my body up from the couch before calling out into the air. "Silas? Silas, is that you?"

The figure stops before moving over towards the nearest light and flipping the switch. I shielded my eyes from the light before opening them and seeing Silas staring at me with blood-stained eyes. His clothes were disheveled— his shirt was marked with stains, his shoes were untied, and his jeans were ripped in odd places.

His attention latched onto me, and I saw how horrible life has been treating him. His cheeks were sunken and purple, heavy bags laid under his eyes. My heart ached but it was different. Instead
of the heart-shattering pain that I'm used to feeling, it was subtle and tiny, like a reminder of what once was there.