Changing (No Ship)

Trigger warning: language, blood, sword, pride Roman, paranoia, stabbing, (kinda) betrayal, death. Lemme know!

Prompt was from CrystalClearStar thank you kiddo!

Holy.....uh....this took a while to write...? So ye

Pride

Everything was going fine in daydream mode. Roman was arguing with Logan, as usual, and Virgil and Patton were trying to calm him down. Deceit was standing in the corner, about to step in, until he saw a flash of something Orange. He paid more attention now, watching Roman closely.

Roman’s normal pompous voice was heavy, venomous. His eyes kept changing from their normal chocolate brown to a dull, burnt orange. Even Virgil noticed, watching nervously as Remus stepped out of the corner. 

“Well well well,” he chuckled lowly, making Logan and Patton freeze. His own eyes were a bright green, showing danger. All of the sides’ eyes changed a little when they used their powers in the mind palace, and of Remus’s did it, it never meant anything good. “Lookie here. I sure have missed the third brother,” he smirked.

Deceit’s eyes widened and he grabbed Logan, Patton, and Virgil, yanking them away from the two as Roman’s form started changing and going dark. When De dared a glance back, he paled in fear. Pride was standing there, dressed in black and orange. He held his sword as it dripped with blood.

“Run!” De yelled, pushing the others ahead of himself. He got them to the light side of the mind, sealing it off so hopefully the two couldn’t get in. He looked at the others, seeing Virgil shaking in fear and the other two just genuinely looking confused. 

“What was that?” Logan demanded, holding Patton close to him, who was holding Virgil. “Deceit, why did we run? What did Remus mean ‘third brother’?” He asked, eyes filled with confusion and fear, which was unusual for the logical side.

Deceit bit his lip, thinking over exactly what to say. One glance at Virgil, though, had him running to the smaller side. “Virgil, breathe,” he said, taking him from Patton. He noticed the other two growing increasingly worried, but for now he had to help Virgil.

Virgil whimpered, holding onto De. “H-He was gone,” he mumbled, remembering back when the light and dark sides were separated. “Pride was g-gone, Remus and Roman k-killed him.”

De nodded, holding him. He sat down, Virgil in his lap. He glanced at the other two and sighed softly. “There...used to be three brothers,” he said. “Before you two knew about us dark sides, before Roman showed his face to you.” He took a breath, hating this story. “Pride got out of hand. Remus and Roman decided it was best for him to go, but you can’t really kill a side, no matter what Virgil said. Basically, they pushed him into Roman’s mind, merging the two. Hence why he’s also Thomas’s ego.”

Logan nodded, listening intently. “So he’s the...third brother…” he mumbled. “And he’s bad why? Pride, in moderation, can be good. It generally helps promote creativity and happier feelings.”

Patton sighed softly. “He didn’t look too nice,” he mumbled. He had gotten a small look through the door, having seen Pride. He didn’t like the blood on him, the aura he had given off...it scared him badly.

De nodded, feeling Virgil calm just a little. “He...went way overboard with his job. Always claimed it was for Thomas, but it hurt him rather than helped.”

There was a loud banging at the door, making Patton and Virgil both jump. There was another, and another, and De stood, holding Virgil up because the anxious side was shaking too much. He looked at Logan. “Follow me," he said quietly. He turned to start going as the door broke down.

The first to go was Logan. He'd pushed Patton out of the way, right as Pride stabbed him in the back with the sword. Patton screamed out, watching as Logan slumped to the floor. However, the blood that came out wasn't blood. It was a dark blue color, and Logan stood up. His outfit had changed, instead of a normal tie, there was a bowtie. His polo was untucked, and his glasses were askew.

Pride walked over, smiling happily. He clapped Logan on the back. "Welcome, Sentiment," he chuckled, making the other grin in a happy way.

De's eyes went wide and he grabbed Patton, running as fast as he could with Virgil in his arms. Patton wasn't much help, he looked numb. They heard Pride, Remus, and Sentiment following, slowly gaining on them. 

As they ran, they got to a hedge maze. This led to the subconscious, and De paused. He couldn't for long though, and just dove headfirst in, still holding Virgil. 

They ran, and they ran. One of the roots of the brambles stuck out, tripping Patton. He yelped, holding his leg. He looked up to De with utter fear in his eyes.

De paused, but Patton screamed at him to keep running. But he couldn't move. Not until the sword went through Patton's gut, a bright blue liquid spirting out. He gasped, going still as his form changed. His face got dark circles, like Virgil's. His cardigan was a pitch black, and his shirt was tucked into his khakis. He stood, adjusting his glasses with an 'I don't give a shit' face.

Deceit bolted, holding Virgil tight to himself. He could tell the other had fallen asleep from sheer terror, more like passed out. He cursed under his breath. The last thing he'd heard before running was the name Apathy. This terrified him. None of the others were good. That's why they'd locked Pride up. He wasn't good. 

He stopped, hiding in a dark corner and panting. De sat Virgil down next to him, constantly watching around. He heard footsteps and held his breath, hoping to anything and everything holy and unholy that they'd go away, that they wouldn't look here.

The talking grew louder, footsteps pounding in De's head like a drum. He heard them come to a halt in front of him. His eyes were shut tight. When he dared open them, after hearing a voice say "Paranoia", the sight he saw made his blood run cold. 

Virgil, on the ground, purple spewing out from a large gash on his chest. De saw Pride, but not the others. He bolted, tears streaming down his face. He needed to get Remus. He was the one who could undo this. But the problem was, Deceit had an alternate trait too. Honesty. He couldn't become that, or he'd be under the other's bidding. 

He hid in the maze, doing whatever he could to stay away. Deceit kept looking around, watching for everyone. He would see the others, but never Remus. This went on for what felt like weeks, months. He wanted to give up, give in to everything.

But the others...he couldn't let them stay like that. De wouldn't do that to them.

One day, after almost a year of hiding out, searching for Remus, he found him. Alone. One on one, that was what Deceit had needed. He snuck up behind the self-proclaimed king. A knife in hand.

"Thus is for everyone," was all De said before plunging it into Remus's back. This wasn't like Pride's sword. Dark blood ran down Remus's back, and he doubled over. 

"Et tu, Brute," Remus choked out, turning around to face him. His wicked grin was soon replaced by a pain filled look, and he fell back. Dead.

De was shaking. Remus had always been his friend...he hated what he did. He had to find everyone else. Killing Remus was the only way to have undone this, undone the power he held in Thomas's mind.

He walked. And walked. And walked. All the way to the light side of the mind. There they were, happy as ever. As if nothing had ever happened. 

Deceit smiled and joined them. They didn't remember a thing, and he didn't tell. He wasn't going to. They were better off not remembering.

Around a year after the incident, De was alone with Roman. The other three had gone off to bed, but these two weren't tired.

De went to say something to Roman, only to stop dead in his tracks. Instead of the chocolate brown, his eyes were bright green. The words he said made De physically shiver.

"Miss me?"