How To Save A Life

A/N: Hey! I'm sorry I haven't posted much. Between college, health, all that, I haven't had the motivation whatsoever. But I did have it for this one! I hope y'all like it!

TW: death, su*c*de, alcohol, swearing, crying, funeral, rope and chair in closet, yelling, all caps, anger. Please let me know if I missed any.

Step one you say we need to talk

He walks you say sit down it's just a talk

He smiles politely back at you

You stare politely right on through

Roman watched as Virgil sat down by him, humming softly. "What'd you wanna talk about, Princey?" he asked, smiling softly.

Roman saw right through the facade as he always had. But now....now he was more worried than he ever had been before. "Virgil–" He stopped, looking into the other's brown eyes. "Ah...look, I'm- we've been worried about you lately." He sighed softly. "You haven't been acting yourself, and-"

Virgil chuckled a bit, offering a small, very obviously fake, smile. "I'm fine," he said gently, standing from the bench he'd been sitting on in the window.

The other watched, eyes sad. He couldn't miss how small and frail Virgil had become, none of them could miss it. It was right there, right in their faces. Every bone, every little feature of his body, it was all right in the open for them to see. It was their fault. It was Roman's fault that he was now gone.

Some sort of window to your right

As he goes left and you stay right

Between the lines of fear and blame

You begin to wonder why you came

"Virgil-"

"Stop," Virgil whispered, his act breaking slightly as he looked to the ground. He took a moment, then slowly looked back up, meeting Janus's eyes. "I'm okay, how many times do I have to repeat myself to everyone?" He chuckled now, having become a better liar than even Janus was.

Janus watched him, able to detect the lie easily, and it broke him. "Talk to me then," he whispered quietly, moving towards his friend. But Virgil moved back, easily avoiding the touch.

Virgil just shook his head, another smile on his face, but nobody could ever miss the brokenness in his eyes. It was always there, always getting to be more and more. His grief could almost be seen, an aura of darkness and shadows sucking the happiness and light from Virgil's eyes. He left, ducking into his room again soon enough.

Janus watched as he left, tears in his own eyes. He was wondering what the point of trying even was anyways, why did he even try? Virgil would never listen to him of all people. Where had he gone wrong in this?

But he knew exactly why Virgil didn't listen. And Janus knew that this, how Virgil was, was his own fault.

Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend

Somewhere along in the bitterness

And I would have stayed up with you all night

Had I known how to save a life

Let him know that you know best

Cause after all you do know best

Try to slip past his defense

Without granting innocence

Patton forced a smile, seeing his kiddo across the way. "Hey!" he said happily, taking Virgil's hand in his own. "How have you been feeling? Ooh- I made cookies!"