Chapter CXXXV - Staubrey: Black Dog

Start from the beginning

"Yes, ma'am."

Beca and Chloe waited and waited but Stacie didn't answer the door.

"Is she even here?" Beca probed, irritated.

"Amy said that she was." Chloe rang the doorbell again and this time, it opened to an exhausted Stacie Conrad with her hair in knots, bags under her eyes, wearing pyjamas with food and drink stains all over them.

"Oh, hey, guys," Stacie greeted dully, her voice several octaves lower than usual.

"H, hey," the couple greeted in unison, completely taken aback by the taller woman's appearance.

"What are you doing here?"

"We just wanted to come and check up on you, make sure you're okay, talk, that kind of stuff," answered Chloe.

"Oh... Thanks but you don't have to do that."

"It's what friends are for, silly!" Chloe's tone was upbeat in the hope to lift the mood.

"Oh... Well, thanks. Ah, come on in, I suppose..." Stacie turned, allowing Beca and Chloe to follow and when they did, they saw the state of Stacie's apartment and were flabbergasted.

Dirty dishes overflooded the sink, rotten food was left on the bench, crumbs and drink stains were on the floor, clothes were tossed everywhere, and the smell was musky as if the apartment hadn't been aired in weeks and that could have quite possibly been the case.

"For once, they weren't overexaggerating..." Beca uttered. "If anything, they underexaggerating..."

"Bec, she can't keep living like this," Chloe whispered. "This is horrible!"

"This is what Aubrey did to her, Chlo! I'm killing that bitch."

"No, you're not."

"Yes, I am."

"No, you're not!"

"I am!"

"Do you guys want a drink or something?" Stacie asked.

"No," they answered again in unison, probably a little too quickly.

"No, thank you, Stacie. We had lunch before we came," Chloe smiled.

"And I think it's about to come back up..." Beca groaned quietly.

"Shh!" Chloe hissed, gently smacking Beca's stomach. "So, Stacie, what have you been up to? It's been a while since we've seen you."

"Ah, nothing much. Just my usual thing..." She shrugged.

"Are you still personal training?"

"Yeah, I'm doing that every now and then."

"When was the last time you heard from Aubrey?" Beca asked.

"Beca!" Chloe smacked her girlfriend's arm.

"Ow! What?"

"It's okay, Chloe," Stacie chimed in. "I haven't heard from her since we... since we..." Stacie's throat constricted as she felt a sinking feeling in her stomach.

"It's okay, Stace," Chloe put her arm around the woman. "You don't have to say it."

"I miss her so much!" Just like that, Stacie crumbled, falling into Chloe's arms as she sobbed.

"Oh, honey..." Chloe wrapped her arms around Stacie and sat down on the couch with her. "It's okay. It's okay. Shh..."

"I... I... I still love her!"