Shade#190 (S9): Roles

CUT TO: INTERROGATION ROOM

EXT. INTERROGATION ROOM- NIGHT

[Shellshock]

The world is so much more than we want to give it credit for. And at the same time, much less. The world is driven by ambition and desire. Everyone and everything is seeking something and the ones with most resolve make their desires reality. A man has so much more enacted upon him than his agency can combat. Certain choices must be made to cope or one could drown in existentialism and disappointment. And certain orders must be followed.

[Shade]

... What are you talking about? What does this have to do with anything?

[Shellshock]

I was like you once. I believed that with enough effort, I could change the world. But you can't.

[Commissioner Reed]

What do you mean by changing the world?

[Shellshock]

It means exactly what it sounds like. You think that if you find who I'm working for, you'll put them through the legal system and they'll get time in prison and the day will be saved. But that's not how it works, at least not with these guys. Everyone wants their cut and a little bit more. There's always some loophole or fine print that will keep people from getting what they really deserve. And I learned that out the hard way.

[Shade]

So, what happened? You keep saying all this stuff but it doesn't mean anything.

[Shellshock]

Maybe not to you. But from where I'm sitting it's crystal clear.

SHELLSHOCK CHUCKLES A LITTLE BIT.

[Shellshock]

My wife was abducted.

[Shade]

Is that why you're working with them?

[Shellshock]

No, as of now, I believe her to be dead.

[Commissioner Reed]

Why?

[Shellshock]

She had a rare type of plasma and the man that had her abducted used her plasma to help his dying daughter. He found out about her because a doctor was on his payroll and he was to blow the whistle whenever if ever a potential match was found. I know all of this because the man that I am working for is the father of the man that abducted my wife.

[Commissioner Reed]

Then why are you working for him?

[Shellshock]

Because I did everything that I could to fight him and I lost. It was all just a waste of time. With the people I deal with, there's no such thing as a fair fight. I went to the police, I hired the best lawyer that I could, I even tried to use my past military affiliations to give me a tip on where I could find the bastard who killed my wife was and it all ended up going nowhere. The police said that they couldn't just investigate allegations and needed reasonable suspicion, my lawyer refused to represent me after a certain amount of time because I was a high-risk case and when I started poking around in the military, I was immediately shut out.

[Shade]

So, why do any of this? Why help them?

[Shellshock]

Why do anything? My wife was my life and they took her away from me. Then when I tried to get justice money and aristocracy got in my way. But if you needed an answer I guess I wanted to see what it was like to be them. To see the world through the eyes of the elites. I wanted to see behind the curtain, to really get a good look at the secret world that had destroyed mine.