Shade#1: The chest

PAGE 1 (FIVE PANELS)

Panel 1.
CUT TO: SOUTH END DISTRICT

INT. CAR - AFTERNOON

DRAY RIDES ALONG WITH TORIA THROUGH A NEIGHBORHOOD.

Panel 2.
SMALL PANEL OF DRAY NOTICING SOMETHING OUTSIDE THE WINDOW.

Panel 3.
POV OF DRAY OBSERVING A MAN SITTING ON HIS PORCH SWING PLAYING HIS UKELELE AS THE SWING SWAYS BACK AND FORTH.

Panel 4.
SHOT OF TORIA DRIVING OVER AN OVERPASS.

Panel 5.
GETTING OVER THE OVERPASS DRAY SEES A COUPLE OF MEN FIGHTING IN THE FRONT YARD OF A HOUSE.

DRAY: (MUMBLE BALLOON)
Dude, you've gotta be kidding me.

TORIA: (BALLOON)
Did you say something?

PAGE 2 (FIVE PANELS)

Panel 1.
DRAY TURNS TO FACE TORIA.

DRAY: (BALLOON)
Nah, I was just kinda thinking out loud.

TORIA: (BALLOON)
About what?

Panel 2.
DRAY PUTS HIS HANDS UP IN FRUSTRATION.

DRAY: (BALLOON)
Well, for starters, how it's kinda like we just passed over into another dimension or something.

TORIA: (BALLOON)
What exactly are you talking about?

DRAY: (BALLOON)
Back over the overpass, there was a guy sitting on his porch playing a ukelele. I just find that it's not even 20 minutes in either direction and the atmospheres are totally different. Like you'd never be able to play a ukelele over in this area without someone trying to call you a fruitcake or smash the damn thing.

Panel 3.
TORIA TAKES ONE OF HER HANDS OFF OF THE WHEEL IN AN INQUIRING
FASHION.

TORIA: (BALLOON)
Are you about to go on a rant because it seems like it?

DRAY: (BALLOON)
I'm not ranting. I'm just saying, how is it that two places like that are right next to each
other? Odds are that they should at least be a little bit similar right?

TORIA: (BALLOON)
You act like you've never been over here before. You know this is the hood.

Panel 4.
DRAY DOES A BACKHAND SLAP.

DRAY: (BALLOON)
Yeah, yeah, I've seen this area every day for the last 14 years of my life but it still stands that it shouldn't be this bad right? I mean no one gives a shit about Central unless they're using it as some sort of political attack and Daisy Bates' house isn't too far from here either. It's got history and it really seems that people don't care about it unless they're trying to score points.

Panel 5.
TORIA USES ONE OF HER HANDS TO SCRATCH HER HEAD.

TORIA: (BALLOON)
The hell if I know. However, I do have a theory. One of the last things anyone thought whites would do was to take their ball and go home, they thought they might put up a fight but that they would eventually get over it and things would get better. I think that's why everything in the west is the way that it is. All the people with money and resources went west. There's also probably a lot of conspiratory sabotaging and everything else that went on but who can say for sure.

DRAY: (BALLOON)
I can say one thing for sure...

TORIA: (BALLOON)
Here we go.

PAGE 3 (FIVE PANELS)

Panel 1.
DRAY THROWS HIS HANDS INTO THE AIR.

DRAY: (BALLOON)
It's not the damn ukelele! When we stopped at that gas station a guy said, "Hey, kid, no one plays for the Jazz." Like I'm just supposed to take off the shirt, burn it and support whatever his favorite team is. The Jazz has one of the best logos in the NBA. I shouldn't have to know the maiden names of the player's mothers and their favorite dipping sauce to like a shirt.