Shade#186 (S9): Control

CUT TO: CAFETERIA

EXT. SUNROOM- AFTERNOON

AS DRAY EATS IN THE CAFETERIA, HE LISTENS TO MUSIC AND LOOKS AT HIS PHONE. HE THEN LOOKS UP FOR SPLIT SECONDS AND LOOKS OUT THE GLASS TO SEE A GIRL WHO LOOKS LIKE ABONY. AS DRAY IS ABOUT TO GET UP TO GET A CLOSER LOOK CONNOR COMES AND SITS AT THE TABLE BLOCKING HIS VIEW OF THE GIRL.

[Connor]

Yo, Dray. What's up?

DRAY QUICKLY GETS UP TO LOOK OUT THE WINDOW BUT WHEN HE GETS A CLEAR VIEW OF THE GIRL HE SEES THAT IT'S NOT ABONY. DRAY THEN TAKES OFF HIS HEADPHONES AND TURNS BACK AROUND TO SEE CONNOR.

[Dray]

Sorry, about that Connor. How's it going?

[Connor]

No, it's cool. Things are going good. Are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost.

[Dray]

No, I'm good. I just thought I saw someone I used to know.

DRAY SITS DOWN AT THE TABLE.

[Connor]

You know, I've been following the news lately and you've been in it alot. What's going on out there? Did you really attack that guy at the construction site?

[Dray]

What? No, of course not. I mean, I went there to interrogate him but I never hurt him. He's hamming it up for the press.

[Connor]

Hm, I see. Sadly, people won't see it the same way.

[Dray]

Did you think that I did it?

[Connor]

Given your track record, let's just say that I preferred to hear everything from you instead of hearsay.

[Dray]

I appreciate it.

[Connor]

It's critical that we be analytic and meticulous with the information and accounts that we are presented with. You never know who's trying to get ahead or what their agendas are when presenting the news anymore. And I would like to say that I'm a good judge of character, I just know that despite what I thought at first personally, I know you had your reasons.

[Dray]

What's got you into the news all of a sudden?

[Connor]

Just everything that happened with Hartle and even what you've uncovered about the school. When I read both the school and the local paper, it just seemed like they were giving the teachers and students leniency instead of just saying what the facts were.

[Dray]

Well, you know, that's how it is.

[Connor]

I just want a news source that states the facts. I feel like by the time the news has gotten to me now that it's been so processed that it's not even the same story.

[Dray]

I guess I feel the same way about that too.

[Connor]

So, if you don't mind me asking, what's going on out there?

DRAY SIGHS.

[Dray]

It's turning out to be a longer story by the minute. A reporter a while back was sent a snuff film. I don't know why and I don't think I'll ever know because he was killed. The killer who was in the video, Marvin Hewitt, is in jail and it turns out that Silt had a hand in putting him away. And right now, me and the police are trying to unravel all the mystery behind the reporter's murder. You see, the reporter was so scared for his life that he wasn't going to go public with the information that he was sent and at the scene of the murder, there was a sign of a struggle but the only injury that the reporter had was the stab wound that killed him.