Shade#12: Accentuate

PAGE 1 (FIVE PANELS)
Panel 1.
CUT TO: THE NEXT DAY, YORKWOOD
INT. KITCHEN - MORNING
DRAY STANDS BESIDE THE TOASTER TIREDLY WAITING FOR POP TARTS TO POP UP.

Panel 2.
TORIA, WHO HAS WALKED INTO THE KITCHEN, LOOKS AT DRAY SLUMPED OVER THE COUNTER FROM BEHIND THE REFRIGERATOR DOOR.

TORIA: (BALLOON)
Rough night?

DRAY: (BALLOON)
Yeah, you could call it that.

Panel 3.
TORIA THROWS HER ARM AROUND DRAY'S SHOULDER AS HIS POP TARTS POP OUT OF THE TOASTER.

TORIA: (BALLOON)
Come on, you've gotta wake up. I'm sure your night wasn't nearly as bad as mine.

DRAY: (BALLOON)
It's gotta be a competition?

TORIA: (BALLOON)
No, not really but if it was then I've won by a landslide. Hey, your pop tarts are done. Can I have one?

DRAY: (BALLOON)
No way, get your own.

Panel 4.
PANEL SHOWING DRAY GETTING COFFEE AND TORIA PUTTING HER OWN POP TARTS INTO THE TOASTER.

TORIA: (BALLOON)
A pair of officers nearly got the drop on Samuel Morehouse but he managed to take one of them hostage. He was trying to draw out Shade again but Shade managed to beat him this time. It all worked out for the better.

DRAY: (BALLOON)
Who was it that got caught?

TORIA: (BALLOON)
Samantha.

DRAY: (BALLOON)
The cute blonde?

Panel 5.
PANEL OF TORIA LOOKING DEVIOUSLY AT DRAY AND DRAY AGITATEDLY FACING TORIA.

TORIA: (BALLOON)
I think I'm gonna tell her that you said that.

DRAY: (BALLOON)
Hey, you can't do that. I'm tired and was stating a matter of fact.

TORIA: (BALLOON)
Mmm-hmm.

PAGE 2 (SIX PANELS)
Panel 1.
DRAY TAKES A PONDEROUS STANCE TOWARDS TORIA WHILE SHE PUTS HER OWN POP TARTS INTO THE TOASTER.

DRAY: (BALLOON)
I guess it turns out that Shade was a bigger help than anyone wants to give him credit for huh?

TORIA: (BALLOON)
That's still in the air. There's a reason there's an entire task force dedicated to upholding the law. Violating civil rights and violently assaulting people even to protect someone else doesn't hold up under the rule of law. Most of the guys end up walking.

DRAY: (BALLOON)
How is that even possible? If you catch a purse snatcher shouldn't the purse snatchee be able to testify to the events as they unfolded.

TORIA: (BALLOON)
I'm not a lawyer, Dray. However, let me put it like this, someone threatens you and says they want your wallet. Shade steps in and helps you out. The guy goes to jail and you have to testify against the would-be thief in court, without Shade mind you, are you doing it?

Panel 2.
DRAY POINTS AT TORIA ENTHUSIASTICALLY.

DRAY: (BALLOON)
Shade's a tunicate, you guys are the EMTs. Sure you're not a bodyguard service but I have a hard time believing that you guys can't help out someone who makes sure that a bad guy gets behind bars where he's supposed to be. And either way, he'd still be coming after me if he's that indignant, right? No matter if he was stopped by a cop or a vigilante.

TORIA: (BALLOON)
You may have a point there. You'd still be better off if you were helped by an officer though. That's all I'm saying.

Panel 3.
TORIA LOOKS AT HER WATCH AS HER POP TARTS POP UP OUT OF THE TOASTER WHILE DRAY LOOKS LIGHTHEARTEDLY DREARY.