Shade#175 (S9): Citizens

CUT TO: SOMETIME LATER

INT. MAXWELL'S- NIGHT

DRAY STANDS BEHIND THE COUNTER OF THE MEAT DEPARTMENT IN MAXWELL'S AND WAITS AROUND AS CUSTOMERS PASS BY LOOKING AT THE CASE. ONE OF HIS COWORKERS THEN COMES OUT OF THE BACK AND GRABS ALL OF HIS THINGS GETTING READY TO LEAVE.

[Dray]

You headed out?

[Brandon]

Yeah, it's about that time. Looks, like you're here by yourself tonight.

[Dray]

It's been that way for about two weeks now. Daniel keeps calling people in for no reason and they can't stay the time they need to.

[Brandon]

Yeah, I noticed. Apparently, they needed people to unload the trucks and sort everything.

[Dray]

I think it's bullcrap. I can do all of that stuff by myself if I get the time. Why don't they just hire more people?

[Brandon]

Management hasn't found the right people yet from what I've heard.

[Dray]

What the hell does that even mean? If I can do this job, anyone can.

[Brandon]

Who knows? But I gotta get going. I'll see you later.

[Dray]

Yeah, see you.

BRANDON LEAVES AND THE PHONE BEGINS TO RING. DRAY THEN ANSWERS THE PHONE.

[Dray]

Hello, this is the meat department.

[Woman]

(Over the phone)

Um, yes hello, is this the meat department?

[Dray]

Yes, ma'am. This is the meat department.

[Woman]

(Over the phone)

Okay good. I was hoping that I could get in contact with you guys today. I was calling because I wanted to ask about some ice cream.

[Dray]

I'm sorry.

[Woman]

(Over the phone)

I said that I wanted to call about some ice cream.

DRAY LOWERS THE PHONE AWAY FROM HIS FACE TO BREATHE AND TAKES A SECOND TO PROCESS EVERYTHING THAT HE HAS HEARD AND THEN PUTS THE PHONE BACK UP TO HIS EAR.

[Woman]

(Over the phone)

Hello, are you there?

[Dray]

Yes, I'm here.

[Woman]

(Over the phone)

Okay, I'm looking for Turkey Ice Cream.

[Dray]

Turkey Ice Cream? I'll check really quick but I don't think we have that.

DRAY PUTS THE WOMAN ON HOLD AND CHECKS WITH ANOTHER CO-WORKER.

[Dray]

Hey, Chad, thank God you're still here. Have you ever heard of Turkey Ice Cream?

[Chad]