Chapter 28. Questioned 

Running into Mr. Payne's class I'm surrounded by a bunch of students.

"What happened?"

"Why did you switch?"

"Is Mr. Payne going to jail?"

"Ugh-I-Um." I stuttered.

"Excuse me. Pardon me." Bree said as she pushed past people and pulled me out of the crowd. Dragging me to our seats she was the the new interrogator."What the fuck happened over there." I sighed and quickly explained it to them.

"Well damn." Tonya laughed."I guess you ain't got to tell Harris anymore."

"I guess." I laughed along with her."But how did Mr. Payne figure out I switched?" Jake laughed and raised his hand.

"Well ya see, he was teaching then asked where you were so he could help you. We told him you're not here. He called our bluff then all hell broke loose."

"Fuck."

"Yup, but I heard the fight was badass. It's pretty fun being on the other side of his ass whooping routine." He laughed.

After that we continued to talk but finally Payne came in. A smile spread across my face as he called my name."I'll be back." They nodded in response. Walking down the steps towards Payne I speak-"yes?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yes." He sighed with a nod."Good."

"Mr. Pa-Payne." I stuttered as he nodded for me to continue."Can I stay here. By you."

"Sure, I'm not going to teach anything though." He stated as he pulled up a chair."Sit." I quickly complied and took a seat. He looked up at me and then looked back down at some papers. I looked over his arm and saw he was reading. Well now I have a zillion questions."Ask."

"What?" I asked looking at him wide eyed. He looked up from his book.

"Say what you are thinking."

Taking a deep breath I answer-"h-how c-can you read." I stuttered.

"The essay that you wrote I didn't read it."

"WHY?!" I screeched.

"Calm down. I gave you a hundred because anything about me is amazing, obviously." I rolled my eyes at his statement.

"How are you even a teacher then if you can't read?"

"I can read. I just have to use Braille. But the reason I didn't read yours was because I didn't take it hom-"

"Why do you have to take it ho-".

"If you will stop interrupting then you'll figure it out. I take it home to print it in Braille and then I grade it." Oh that makes sense.

"Oh makes sense. Is Braille hard to learn?" He shook his head. Of course not for his smart ass but what about normal brained people?"Read out loud." He sighed and started-

"It's 'Lovely Bones' a story about a little girl who was murdered and she's trying to help her father find the killer from heaven. It's a good book. It's my seventh time reading it, though. You'll like it." He continued to go on about the story but I didn't listen.

He looked so happy. Like reading was his only safe place."Do you want me to start? I'll start it over too I already re-read it so I don't mind." I smiled and told him to continue.

That's what the rest of class consisted of. Listening to him read and getting lost in his words.
——————-
Check out my other stories Mafia Love and Our Darkest Sides.