5. A promising twilight

Start from the beginning

“Home,” I mutter. “Whatever a home is good for anyways. I’m bringing them to the Ninjan Pack. I’m not sure why I need to bring it; I just do what the Wolf Spirits urge me to! I don’t question their intentions even if it may be a little uncomfortable and right now a hassle to follow their simple wish.”

“So you are Kate Ray, a member of the Ninjan Pack if I get it all right?”

“Yes, I’m trying to get there as soon as possible if you mind?”

The other woman puts her pen down and gives me weird inspecting look. “Did you dye your hair?”

“What you don’t like it?” I ask offended. “I’m blonde if you really want to know. Why don’t you write that down in the declaration?”

She shakes her head with an amused grin that lights up her whole tense body language. “I want to make sure you make it to the Ninjan Pack without trouble. Those herbs are dangerous in the wrong hands. Would you let me get you a helicopter?”

“Now why would you do that?” I ask her suspiciously.

“Because you’ve been missing for the last fourteen years,” she answers me slowly.

She knows! I feel astonished by the fact that she knows who I am. I didn’t expect this at all. I’m speechless as she watches me quietly. I don’t know how to talk to her now. This is a complete stranger and she knows who I am!

“I guess the WSF has been looking for me,” I add without emotion.

“Ever since you were taken,” she answers me. “I blame myself for the kidnapping. You were a guest in my house when you and your sister were attacked.”

“I don’t remember anything of that day,” I tell her and look down onto the floor. “He almost killed Mary, but he didn’t harm me.”

I don’t know why the words fly out of me so easily. This woman is prepared to listen to me, to my whole story. I feel nervous. I always had to neglect my identity and what happened in order to survive so I feel relieved that I don’t have to pretend anymore.

“Who is the man on the boat?”

The question comes so fast that it leaves me stunned. “You mean Elias? He’s a friend. He helped me escape from Rosalea.”

“Where is the man who took you?”

“He’s at the Rosalea Island.”

I watch as she scribbles down everything I tell her onto a blank paper. I turn myself completely inside out while I tell her my story about the life I had on Rosalea. I feel exhausted when I finish talking. I didn’t expect to be questioned so much. I thought I could return home and that would be it. How silly I am, of course they need to bring John Moore to justice. This will ruin Rosalea, but I hope they will be able to live with themselves and what they did to me.

I don’t have to return to the other boat. Elias is free to go and I wave him off as he disappears into his own world of adventures. I couldn’t make it this far without him so I’m really thankful. May the Wolf Spirits be with him and him with them.

The questioning took most of the day so it is already getting late. I thank Jupiter for being by my side. I don’t think I would have made the whole day without his spirit present. He gives me my strength.

We are now sitting in the lounge. I am drinking a hot cup soup while we are heading towards mainland. I get to stay at the WSF facility for the night and then they’ll do a health check up on me in the morning. I’m anxious, but it will be good. I already know what the doctor will say; John did regular tests on me.