5. A promising twilight

Start from the beginning

“It’s Mrs Denwood during work hours, Bradley,” she answers him firmly.

I see the resemblance between them now. Of course they’re related. They have the same colours and even their small gestures are quite similar. I wonder how it would feel like working for the WSF. I remember the Ninjan Pack usually send pack members to work for them. I don’t think I’d want my parents to boss me around. I very much like my independence.

“Mrs Denwood,” he says respectfully while rolling his eyes.

“What are you going to do with the herbs?” the woman called Mrs Denwood asks Elias with her voice dripping with sarcasm. She’s standing patiently, but she can’t hide her restless spirit from me. She can’t wait to finish up here and continue on with her work day.

“They’re mine,” I answer her angered of the way she’s ignoring me. “Put them down.”

“I work for the Werewolf Security Force little girl,” she answers me annoyed. “You can’t tell me what to do.”

“You’re not my Alpha,” I add gritting my teeth. “I only serve under the Wolf Spirits humble wishes.”

She snorts at me but looks me up and down with a small hint of respect in her eyes. For a second it feels like I’ve met her before. I shake the thought away quickly. I think I would remember this arrogant woman if I met her somewhere a long time ago. She reminds me a bit of my mother, maybe that’s why?

“What are the Wolf Spirits telling you to do with the herbs then?” she asks me daringly.

“I am bringing them home with me, for personal use.”

“Where is your home, if I may ask?”

“You may not!” I cut her off and grip my bags, but the man called Bradley doesn’t let them go.

“She picked and dried the herbs herself. She is an herbal specialist,” Elias speaks up to my defence.

“You must declare the herbs in order to bring them with you,” Mrs Denwood finally informs us. “You just need to state what you are going to use them for and I’ll approve them if the reason is good enough. Follow me to my office.”

I follow them reluctantly onto their boat. I don’t like that Bradley is bringing my dried plants with him. It feels like they won’t let me keep them. We walk inside and the first thing I notice is the air conditioner. No wonder they can wear so much clothes in this cold. I shudder as the coldness keeps hitting me in waves.

Mrs Denwood takes me into a quite small office. There’s paperwork everywhere and none of us tries to sit down on the two comfortable chairs by the desk. She opens a drawer and hands it to me along with a pencil.

“I’ve never been much of a writer,” I tell her. I don’t feel the need to explain to her about how my years in imprisonment made my writing horrible. I barely manage to read as it is.

“Name?” she wonders and puts the paper down onto her desk with the pen ready without questioning me.

“Kate Ray.”

It feels so thrilling to present myself with my own name. I didn’t expect the other woman to react at my name, but she just looks at me with an open mouth before getting herself together.

“Kate Ray?” she says softly.

“Yes that’s what I said. Do you want me to spell it out for you?” I ask her quite rudely.

“Where are you bringing these herbs, Kate?” she keeps asking as she writes down my name on the paper elegantly. Her voice sounds broken compared to her earlier behaviour.