39. A Good Mess

-Jordan-

-Jordan-

It was about time for my mother to come see me for the second time. I was, if possible, even more nervous than last time. I had so many things to say to her, but I feared I would only get overwhelmed again, and lose this opportunity. It wasn't like I couldn't tell her everything I had in mind over the phone, but it was different to talk to her in person, see her standing right in front of me, hear her real voice, and smell her perfume.

And maybe, just maybe, I would be able to even hug her.

I knew it was too soon to even think about hugging her, but I also knew it was possible someday. All I had to do was to keep on improving, live one day at a time, and soon enough I would have a normal life. Or, at least I would be able to be close to people again. I had to believe it would happen, or it would never happen.

"Oh God, I'm shaking," I chuckled breathlessly, staring at my shivering hands.

I was standing in the middle of my living room. I had been staring at my clock for quite some time now, and as the minutes passed, my nervousness became almost too much to bear. It was hard for me to breathe, and since I was not used to having such strong emotions, I feared I would panic soon – and knowing that didn't help me keep it together. Thankfully, Blake had been there with me the entire time, watching over me silently, and the moment I spoke, he took a step closer to me.

I could almost feel him standing right behind me, and his scent soothed me. Blake was careful when he placed his hand on my arm to calm me down. I had to admit that it worked really well, and I could breathe again.

"Are you all right?" he asked quietly.

"Barely," I admitted. "I wish this would be easier. I'm getting worked up just because I'm going to see my mom..."

"Hey," he uttered and stepped in front of me. "Things you have been through... I think it's all right to get emotional in a situation like this. Anyone would if they were in your shoes."

"But I'm the only one who panics in situations like this," I muttered, and the hate I had for myself, and for my life, started to rise inside me.

"Baby..." he breathed silently, and it was enough to push that hate back down.

"I know, I know... I'm too hard on myself," I sighed. "I never thought I could be impatient..."

"We will never stop learning more about ourselves," he said with a smile. "I never thought I could enjoy a soft bed so much. Or hot showers in the evening."

I gave him a smile and rested my head on his shoulder. Blake placed his hands gently on my waist, and I could feel his lips touching my cheek.

"I'm so happy you're here," I whispered.

"I'm happy to be here," he answered. "And, it's about time," he added.

It was like an electric shock passed through my body. My eyes darted towards the clock that showed me I had only one minute left before I could see my mother again.