8. Pen Pal

-Blake-

-Blake-

I tried to be as quiet as possible while running through the roof of the terrace. My heart was beating fast, pumping adrenaline through my veins, giving me the boost I desperately needed. I jumped down from the roof without even bothering to check if there was someone to see me, and continued my way across the yard, away from the Simmons' house.

I had made a mistake! A huge one at that! Jordan was probably on the phone already, speaking with the cops, while I ran towards my hiding place. The cops would bring dogs with them, and those darned creatures would find my trail easily! My scent was all over the place! I was practically offering them my head on a silver plate! Christ!

If I acted fast, I had the possibility to get far away from that rotten place. It was a long shot since I had spent way too long in the city, and now both Jordan and his mother knew how I looked. Screw that, Jordan was talented enough to paint an accurate picture of me! But, I had to try.

"You're so stupid," I muttered to myself, climbing up the hill to my hiding place. 

Once there, I grabbed my backpack and turned to look at Simmons' house. I saw Mrs. Simmons in her study, doing paperwork like nothing had happened. My instincts were screaming at me to make a run for it, but I couldn't. It was like my feet were glued on the ground.

I stared at the house for a long time, ready to flee if I saw anything out of the ordinary. I knew it was ridiculous, but I wished with every fiber in my body that Jordan wouldn't call the cops. Minutes passed, and nothing happened. The house stayed quiet, and Mrs. Simmons concentrated on her papers, letting out a sigh now and then.

I couldn't understand any of it. Why didn't Jordan call the cops? It made no sense. Anyone sane enough would've called the cops already. I had been there just to watch him with no intention to harm him, yes, but even that was all kinds of wrong. And yet, nothing.

I waited. I wanted to see what Jordan was going to do. This was way too absurd for me to just leave. I was way too damn curious for my own good, but I had to see this through. If I left now, it would haunt me for the rest of my life. My fate was now in the hands of that beautiful man.

After what felt like an eternity, Mrs. Simmons looked at her watch and put her papers away. I, too, checked my watch. It was time for mommy dearest to call her son.