22. The Importance of Flirting

-Blake-

-Blake-

"Finally," I sighed, dropping the last piece of paper in one of the boxes on my left. I had finally gone through all the papers Mrs. Simmons had given me!

During the past few days I had been distracted by Jordan, my boyfriend, so it had taken me longer than I thought to go through everything, but it was finally done! I still had to organize them and put them in their own binders, and it was a tremendous task since there was like three years' worth of it. But it was getting late, seven o'clock to be precise, and I had another job to do.

Well, spending time with Jordan wasn't a job, it was a privilege.

"I made it," I sang when I peered into Jordan's living room. "I told you I can get it done before seven!"

"Congratulations," Jordan chuckled.

He was sitting on his big couch. He had a magazine lying next to him, but it looked deserted and forgotten. He was wearing a pair of gray college pants and a simple, black T-shirt, but to me, he looked like he was wearing designer clothes. He looked drop-dead-gorgeous in any clothes.

He was playing with the tip of his long braid, and he seemed nervous, making me feel a bit worried.

"Are you all right?" I asked, even though I knew he hated that question.

"I'm fine," Jordan muttered. "You are too early..."

"Only for two minutes," I said cheerily after checking the time from one of Jordan's numerous clocks.

"You say it like it's not a big deal," Jordan muttered.

"It's not..." I said before I could stop myself.

Jordan gritted his teeth together and looked away. I knew I had offended him without meaning to.

"This isn't the first time I'm too early or too late. Besides, I'm sitting right outside your room all day anyway," I said carefully.

"You don't get it how hard it is for me when you don't follow my schedule," Jordan said with a hint of anger in his voice. "You are distracting me, and I'm struggling to keep myself together every minute of the day. Don't you dare say it's just a few minutes, because to me it's not that simple!"

I felt bad when Jordan spoke like that. I had tried my hardest not to make any mistakes and make sure Jordan was feeling comfortable enough, but apparently, I was doing a lousy job.

"I'm sorry," I said quietly. "I – I can stay away if you want... And I can try to be more punctual if it helps."

Jordan shook his head and wrung his hands together.

"I thought I can do this, but I can't," he said, and my heart felt suddenly heavier. "Close the door."

"W-What...?" I stuttered in shock.