17. New Identity

-Blake-

-Blake-

I followed Mrs. Simmons even though my instincts told me to run as far away as I possibly could. The woman was crazy for asking me to return with her. She knew who I was and what I had done! She was either crazy or leading me into a trap. I mean, Jordan had been opening up to me, but I had blown it. He wanted me out of his life for good! He told me that loud and clear!

Suddenly, the neighborhood, the houses, and the tall walls were suffocating me. By every step I took, I felt more and more like I was indeed walking into a trap. So, why was I still following Mrs. Simmons?

Because... Because if there still was a chance, no matter how small, no matter if it was just a lie, I couldn't just walk away. Not from Jordan. That man had already trapped me. I was willing to take the risk of getting caught just to see this through. I would spend the rest of my life wondering if I didn't see this through.

I kept glancing over my shoulder, trying to spot any approaching police car or something else out of the ordinary while I walked a few steps behind Mrs. Simmons. My guts told me to turn around and never come back, but my heart had the power over my brains right now, and I couldn't flee.

Mrs. Simmons said Jordan needed me, so how could I just turn my back on him? How could I just leave if there was even the smallest chance that I could stay close to him?

So, I followed like a good little puppy I had turned into.

"When we go in, you keep your mouth shut. Do you understand?" Mrs. Simmons said once we reached their front door. "Let me do the talking."

I stared at her for a moment before I nodded shortly. Mrs. Simmons didn't say a word to me when she opened the door and let me into their house. The sounds of thunder above us quieted down a little when she closed the door behind us.

"Follow me," Mrs. Simmons said, and walked deeper into the building.

I followed her to the stairs, but then I heard footsteps coming from behind us.

"I didn't know we had guests."

I recognized the male voice and froze still, resting my hand on the railing. It was Jordan's father.

"This is Blake – you remember him, right?" Mrs. Simmons spoke.

I turned slowly to look at Mr. Simmons, not knowing what to do or say. The situation was new to me, and I had no idea what Mrs. Simmons was going to tell her husband.

"No, I don't think so," Mr. Simmons said slowly, measuring me with his gaze. "Why are you soaking wet? Why is he bleeding?"

"I went to get him from the gates. Blake here got hit by a falling branch, but it's just a scratch," Mrs. Simmons spoke with a confident smile on her face. "Blake is Tina's nephew. You know, Victoria's son?"