29. Dreaming

-Blake-

-Blake-

It was almost midnight when I finally sat down on my bed with a long, content sigh. I had to admit, I dreaded the thought of having to sleep outside in a tent. It had been snowing quite heavily the entire day, and it would definitely be too cold to live outside in the woods right now.

I laughed at myself when I turned to look out of the window. It was only a few months ago when I thought that the worst thing to happen to me would be having a home. Now I had one, and I hated the thought of losing it.

"I'm getting too comfortable in here," I chuckled.

But I sure hated to think of losing the life I had now. I couldn't think of anything worse than losing Jordan.

I looked at the envelope in my hands. I had returned to Julia. I begged her to forgive my childish behavior and asked if she still was willing to help me. She smiled and gave me the envelope.

"I want to help you," she said. "You have done so much for us already."

I wasn't used to the kindness of other people. I'd never had anyone to worry about me, or to help me. I had always lived my life alone, trusting no one. I had always believed I could take care of myself, and live my life depending only on my wits.

But at that moment, when I looked around in my warm and cozy room, I finally let myself be the person who I really was: a lost and scared young boy.

And yet I had a smile on my lips when I opened the envelope. If I was the lost child in a store, crying for my mommy, Julia was the nice lady who had taken my hand and asked the staff if they could help us find my parents. That was how I saw the situation.

"Oh, good lord..." I muttered before bursting in laughter.

The papers I pulled out of the envelope contained a few of my own mugshots. The first one was taken when I was fifteen years old, and I could see clearly what living in the streets had done to me. In the mugshot, I had dirt and sweat all over my face, and I was suffering from bad acne.

"I'm such a handsome boy," I laughed and gasped for air.

I had learned to take care of my personal hygiene over the years, but when I was younger, I hadn't cared about such things. I had actually hated taking showers.

Now I had the urge to go take a long bath after seeing my dirty images. I put the mugshots away and began going through the papers. Most of them were just criminal reports and a few clips from newspapers, but there was nothing I didn't already know about myself.

I sighed and tossed the papers away. I wasn't sure what I had hoped to find out, but I kind of wished that I would've learned at least something new about myself.

Although, it would've been a miracle if they had found something new with the information Julia had given to her cousin. It was actually amazing that the guy had found the mugshots with the little information he had.