12. Cup of Tea

-Blake-

 -Blake-

Well... When I told Jordan that I've slept in worse places than in a tent in a secure neighborhood, I wasn't challenging the universe.

It was cold. It was raining heavily. The wind tried its best to steal my tent. I couldn't sleep much that night. Whenever I finally nodded off, a tree somewhere cracked loudly, bending under the hard wind. I had everything I owned in plastic bags, and I hoped I'd have dry clothes in the morning since everything I was wearing got completely soaked.

Only the thought of Jordan kept me in high enough spirit to endure the measly weather. I couldn't keep my body from shivering under the wet blankets, but at least the happy feeling in my heart kept my soul warm. This weather wasn't the worst thing I had experienced. I once was stuck with crackheads for over a week when I was fourteen and I was still surprised I made it out alive. Those people had some serious issues with paranoia.

It was just one of the many bad memories I had. I had scars from trusting the wrong people. I had been so sick I thought I wouldn't make it. I had been so cold I almost started losing toes. I had ended up in places where I was forced to sleep in other people's feces. I had stayed in shelters where people cried out their misery, pain, and loneliness. I had seen my friends being dragged away by cops and security, knowing I would never see them again.

A mere fall storm wasn't enough to bring down my mood. I was mostly shielded by a small cliff anyway, and my tent was covered with waterproof canvas which kept most of the rain out.

When the morning arrived, and the storm had finally passed, I crawled out of the tent. The sky was gray, and the forest floor was filled with puddles and mud, but at least it wasn't raining anymore. I grabbed my bag and hauled it out. I opened it and searched for the plastic bag my clothes were in, and let out a happy groan when I felt the dry canvas under my touch when I pulled out my spare clothes.

Once I had changed, I tied a long, thin rope between two trees and hung the wet beddings on it to dry. Once I was done, I ate breakfast – bread without toppings, like always – and decided to go for a walk.

I had way too many hours to spend before I could go back to Jordan. I wanted to go to him right now, but there was no way I could do that without being spotted. I walked closer to the Simmons' residence, staying hidden behind the bushes. It was Sunday, so the family wasn't in a hurry to get out of bed. There was nothing interesting for me to see, not since I couldn't see Jordan, so I continued my way around the hill. I was still cold, so walking up and down the hill warmed up my aching muscles, but it didn't take me long until I was back in my camp. I made a couple of more laps, but the time still wasn't moving fast enough.

Since I had nothing else to do, I started upgrading my camp. I had to be better prepared for lousy weather. That task kept me busy for quite a few hours. I gathered more branches to give my tent some extra cover, and rocks to make some sort of block around it, so the water wouldn't get in. After I was getting too hungry to continue, I left the neighborhood to go find some food and a place where to clean up.