1. Smooth Criminal

-Blake-

-Blake-

I woke up with sudden pain on the side of my head. At first, I thought someone had punched me, but then realized I simply hit my head on the window in my sleep. I cursed quietly and rubbed my aching temple while trying to wake up from my slumber. The bus I was on stopped shortly after, and the other travelers started scurrying out. We had arrived at our destination.

I had arrived at my new home.

Grabbing my bag from the floor, I stood up and started making my way to the front of the bus, but there was a lady on my way still gathering her belongings. I tried to squeeze past her, but since I was a big, tall guy, I ended up giving her a light shove. She had to grab the backrest to keep herself from falling.

"I'm really sorry, ma'am," I said politely.

She turned to look at me with an annoyed expression on her face, but the second her eyes landed on me, she broke into a smile – my classical features, brown eyes, and dark hair often had that effect, making my life so much easier.

"Oh, don't you worry about that, young man," she said, waving her hand dismissively.

"Have a great day now," I said with a charming smile and continued my way out, holding her wallet under my arm.

When I stepped outside, I was already home. The streets were my home. It had been like that for fourteen years, ever since I turned five. I didn't choose this life, but it was the only life I got, so I had to make the best out of it. Hopefully without causing too much trouble.

I stepped into the main building of the bus station and started looking for the restrooms. Once I found it, I locked myself inside one of the stalls and opened the wallet I stole. The lady had almost a hundred bucks in it! That was a really nice way to start my new life in this city. The lady wouldn't miss the money. Well, maybe a little, but she'd seemed loaded with those expensive clothes and a designer handbag of hers. Even the wallet had probably cost more than a hundred bucks.

I put the money safely into my own wallet, leaving the cards and receipts untouched, and then stepped out of the restroom. I headed straight to the woman who sold tickets and handed the wallet to her.

"Hey, I found this near the toilets," I told her with a charming smile, and she took it.

"Thank you, I'll put it in the lost-and-found box," she said, returning my smile.

"Great," I replied, already heading to the exit. I didn't want to stay any longer at the scene. I couldn't afford to run into the owner of the wallet – that could lead me into a situation I couldn't explain.

It was a sunny day, but the air was already getting chilly. At least it wasn't snowing yet. I still didn't have a place to stay during the winter, and I was so far up north that it would start snowing soon.