37. Larger Than Life

Start from the beginning

I turned to look at him, not knowing what to say exactly. I had tried my best to avoid mentioning Blake, so people wouldn't start asking any questions about him, but now I knew that John wanted to know more about him.

"I just noticed that Blake hasn't been in his room lately," he said with a shrug.

"Yeah – Jordan isn't afraid of him. They kind of... clicked right away, you know?" I spoke vaguely as possible while getting a handful of spoons.

John followed me slowly, and I tried to keep my expression neutral, even though my heart was beating faster.

"You know – I talked with Doctor Xavier yesterday," John spoke, and if my heart had been racing a moment ago, now it froze still. "He didn't seem to know anything about Blake."

I didn't turn to look at him. My mind was completely blank for a moment, but I decided to give him a tiny piece of truth. "Xavier is a good psychologist, but I don't believe he fully understands my son. Not like I do."

"So, you went behind his back?"

I turned to look at him and nodded sternly. "I saw them connect in a way Jordan has never connected with anyone else before. I was worried that Xavier would ruin that for him. I will not let anyone ruin that for him. Blake has done more in two months than any shrink has done in years, and I'll be damned if I let anyone take him away from us."

John stared at me for a moment with wide eyes, before he lifted his hands up as a sign of truce. "Hey now, calm down. I just wanted to understand the situation, that's all."

"Good," I said, and turned my back on him once again, trying to calm down my nature. Then I realized something, and grit my teeth together, when I asked, "Did you tell him about Blake?"

"No, I swear," John said. "Why are you so worried about it? Doctor Xavier would probably understand if we tell him about–"

"No!" I almost shouted. "No – I would appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone about Blake."

"Okay..." he spoke slowly. "Now you're being plain scary."

"Do you trust me?" I asked and crossed my arms on my chest.

"Of course," he spoke.

"Then let me deal with this, okay? I know exactly what I'm doing. All I ask is you to not talk about Blake too much to anyone, okay?" I tried to keep my voice kind while I spoke.

"Sure – whatever you say," John said, but I knew that now he was interested to find out more, and I cursed myself for speaking so carelessly.

"I just don't want anything to ruin this. You must understand," I spoke with a smile. "Our baby boy is getting better and we don't need some fancy doctor to tell us what to do, right?"

"You are right," he said with a smile, and I was sure that he was finally losing interest.

"Thank you," I said quietly. "I can't wait to hold him in my arms," I added in a whisper.

"I know," John said tenderly and hugged me. "I wish I could see him soon too."

"I think you will, if we do not disturb them," I said. "We are going to get our baby boy back. I know we are."