Chapter 1

As she walked out of their close towards the main road, she flagged down a tricycle.

"IBB way." she told the driver. After settling in with the child in her arms, she reflected down the memory lane and the journey that took her into this slavery called "marriage."

Habeebah Hassan Ribadu is a vibrant, beautiful and intelligent young woman whose ambition is to become a lawyer. She is the second daughter to the famous business tycoon Alhaji Hassan Ribadu Diallo. At a very young age, she picked interest in debates, argumentative essays and article writings.  She was a very inquisitive child who would always ask questions about everything she sees, she was loved by all and sundry.

She studied law at the University of Maiduguri and passed with incredibly high scores.  In her fourth year in the university, she met Mahmoud Jalo MaiJama'a who is  currently her husband.

Mahmoud Jalo MaiJama'a hails from Adamawa, a state in the Northeast Nigeria. He comes from a very prominent and rich family in the society. His father Alhaji Abdulwahab Jalo MaiJama'a is a politician and renowned businessman. Mahmoud obtained a bachelor's degree in Business Administration and a Master's degree in Business Administration from the University of Buckingham, England. He recently came back to Nigeria to help with his father's businesses being the first of six children. Mahmoud is a very tall and handsome man with broad shoulders, tan skin and black curly hair. He is every ladies dream man. He always carries himself with so much pride and possesses a charisma which many ladies can't resist.

Habeebah Hassan Ribadu was one of the ladies that admired Mahmoud from a distance. Infact, she has always had a crush on him right from when she was in secondary school. They both hailed from the same community in Adamawa state, both were of the same tribe and grew up together, though Mahmoud was much far older than her in age. Habeebah's admiration for Mahmoud was only known by her elder sister Humairah, who would always constantly tease her calling her "Matan Mahmoud" (ie. Mahmoud's wife). Though Mahmoud has never noticed her or known her in anyway because he was never around infact, one should say he literally grew up abroad because he left the country to study in the U.K since he finished secondary school, only dashing in and out of the country occasionally or during any of his vacations.

She was in her fouth year when they met in the university premises. Habeebah was on her way to the office of the head of her department to submit an assignment, her friend and roommate Aisha Adamu was already ahead of her to submit hers leaving her behind because she was taking much time in coming out of the classroom. Professor Halliru Shehu who is the PTL 404 (Law of trust) lecturer is a no nonsense fellow. He is strict with his student and always insists that one has to be punctual especially he who wants to become a lawyer cannot afford to come late to court.

As she was rushing to meet up with Aisha she accidentally bumped into someone "I am really very sorry." she apologized without looking to whoever it was. She was glad to make it in time to the HOD's office without having to listen to one of his reprovals.

As they were heading back to the hostel "Salaam Alaikum pretty lady." turning around to answer the salaam, she stop mid air mesmerized by the figure standing in front of her. It was him.......Mahmoud Jalo was standing right in front of her.

"Hope you got to your destination in time? You were quite in a haste." He said bringing her out of her trance.

"Sorry for bumping into you that way, it was quite urgent." She replied with flushed cheeks a little bit embarrassed.

"Actually I came to see a friend who is also a lecturer here." He spoke with quite a different accent. "Oh please pardon my manners, Salaam my name is Mahmoud Jalo." He joined his hands together in the sign of the Muslim greeting to a female who he is not related to.

"Wa alaykum salaam my name is Aisha and this is my friend Habeebah." Aisha quickly replied clearly carried away by his handsomeness but meanwhile his eyes were fixated on Habeebah all the while she was talking.

"I uh...don't know if I can get your digits?" He asked handing his phone to Habeebah clearly ignoring Aisha.

"Uhmm...sure," she said pressing her figures into his phone "We really have to get going now." Habeebah said hastily taking Aisha's hand in hers.

"Sorry for taking much of your time, I will sure give you a call." She gave a slight nod before walking away with her friend.

Days turned into weeks, weeks into months and months into years. From them being friends to lovers, involving both parents which led to marriage and now it's been 13 years, 13 good years of marriage to this man she once called her prince charming, her everything.

If only she had listened to Umma's pleas, if only she gave Humairah a listening ear, because these were the  two that saw through him; the callousness, the arrogance, the selfishness and the pretence. It was only Baba that liked him. Baba as their father loved the idea of him being an in-law to the prominent and rich Alhaji Jalo MaiJama'a, the idea of one of his daughters marrying into the family will bring more respect to him in the society. If only she had known that the decision she made 13 years ago was going to be her worst nightmare, she would never had gone into this marriage. All in all she has herself to blame. She was blinded by love for this man that she never saw wrong in him. To her, Mahmoud Jalo was always right and all she could do now was regret all her actions.

It's a long chappie.....
But It was worth the introduction.....
Still curious to know what you think...

Love you loads❤❤❤

Maryam✨✨