25. Family Trauma

Start from the beginning

I didn't know what to say to him. He turned to look at his cold dinner and pushed the plate away, but he didn't continue speaking. It was obvious that the whole family was in great pain, even after all these years.

"He's getting better now. I think you should talk with him more," I said eventually.

"I haven't talked with him in..." he said and stared into nothingness. "I can't even remember to be honest. I don't think he wants to talk to me anyway."

"You should try. You can't keep blaming yourself, you didn't know what would happen," I said quietly.

"I should've been with Jordan the entire time. I shouldn't have let him out of my sight," he said. "I should have taken him and left that damned place the second the fight started..."

I couldn't argue with that. Mr. Simmons sighed, shook his head and turned to look at his notebook.

"I'm glad to hear he's doing better. It's a good thing my stubborn wife didn't let me find a mental institute for Jordan. I don't know if it was God who led you here to us, but I am glad that you came," he spoke. "I heard it was your idea to start selling Jordan's paintings. He is really talented, and he will be a famous artist one day," he added with a happier smile.

"He truly is," I said.

"I'm surprised that my wife agreed to sell the paintings. She's quite attached to them," he continued. "Every penny counts in this household, as you may have noticed."

"I feel bad for making you pay for my living, giving the circumstances," I said truthfully.

"Don't worry about it. I heard you're doing a great job helping my wife. Maybe I could ask you a favor or two in the future?"

"Of course. I am here to help."

"That's great to hear," he said with a smile. "Off you go then. You must be tired."

"Thank you, sir," I said and rushed up on my feet.

"No – thank you for listening," he said.

I gave him an awkward nod before I left the room. I started to relax again when I stepped into my room and closed the door. I was glad that Mr. Simmons hadn't asked anything personal about me. I wasn't sure if I would've remembered anything about my fake family.

It was really late already, and I was getting tired, so I went to take a quick shower before I dressed up in my pajama pants. When I lay down on my bed and pulled the covers over myself, I wondered if Jordan was asleep already.

I rolled on my side and wished that Jordan would be right there, next to me, but my king-size bed was empty.

"Soon enough..." I muttered and yawned widely.

Jordan would be in my arms soon enough. I was sure about it. When I finally fell asleep, I had a smile on my lips, and in my dreams, I was sleeping right next to my boyfriend.