The familiar (Week 0)

a/n : This is a one shot I wrote a while ago. This book was supposed to be my one shot book, but I only had one story in it... this one. So I'm going to keep it here, but I will not count it in my 52 stories since I already wrote that one.

a/n #2: I got this idea when someone in my Thomas Sanders's fan group on facebook started a text-tober. It was the prompt of the second day ''Share the story how you met your familiar (real or made up)''.

---

I was sitting on my couch in my small apartment in Valtani, the city where the best of the best magic weilders have the privilege to study their magical art. The only thing is... I am not talented at all! My parents were really powerful though, that's why I can stay here, but I can't go in the most famous magical school. I have to study in the small... school of the city. We can barely name it a school actually, there was not a lot of students since they were all in the other one. And the worst part of all of it is that I have a really common power : speed. But even my ability is not that powerful! I only walk really fast, people always think I'm in a hurry, but I'm only walking! I also write really fast so I'm always the first one to finish exams... But that's pretty much it. I'm faster than the average people, but for someone with the speed ability, I'm really slow! Oh well, it was the week end, I shouldn't push myself down like that!

I looked at my collection of rubik's cube. I had all kind of cubes, 2x2, 3x3 up to 13x13. That one is really hard and long to do, but with my speed I still can do it faster than anyone else. I even have weird shaped one : pyramids, pentagons... I really loved those kind of puzzles. But I felt like doing a new one today for a change. I headed to my favorite shop, where I could always find puzzles and stuffs like that.

The shopkeeper greeted me warmly, she was always happy to see me. I was kind of the only one to buy her puzzles. I walked between the aisles that felt like a second home to me and a puzzle catched my eye. Not because of the shape, I already had one that looked like it. It was already scrambled. Usually, the puzzles are intact when you buy it and you have to scramble it afterward. It was odd. I tried to look at the other more weirded shaped puzzles, but I would always go back to the mixed one. ''Looks like you are coming back home with me'' I whispered to the cube. Wait, why am I talking to it? 

I headed to the front desk to pay for it, but the shopkeeper shook her head : ''You already bought more than enough, this one is a gift from the owner!''

''Really?... I can't accept it... I would feel bad to not pay for it.'' I replied.

''It's a special one, actually. I always told myself that if someone wanted to buy, I would give it to them. Looks like you are the one... Like I always thought!''

''Oh...well... thanks!'' 

''You will be really suprised when you will solve it by the way.'' She told me with a knowing smile.

''What...why?''

''Have a good day!'' And she went back to whatever she was doing, leaving me in front of the desk, confusingly looking at the cube in my hand. This was getting weirder and weider...

I went back home and put the puzzle on my coffee table in the living room. I was a bit nervous to solve it... What the shopkeeper said sticked with me. I shook my head, I'm worring for nothing! It's only another puzzle to solve, that's all, right. Right?

I grabbed it and started to solve it. The first step was to make the white star. This is the easiest part. But I quickly noticed that this one was harder to solve than the one I already had for some reason... It was strange... Almost like it was alive and moving without me spinning the parts. After an hour I decided to use some of my speed ability. There is no way a puzzle will win agaisn't me!

After another hour or two of rapidly spinning the pieces, I was about to do my final move to solve it! I was really happy to have finally solved it, but at the same time I was really nervous... What will happen? I did felt something while solving this cube... Or was it only my imagination after what the shopkeeper told me? Oh well looks like I will find out now!

The second I finished to put in place the last pieces, a bright green and blue light irridiated from the cube. I dropped it in suprise and I heard a really tiny sound that sounded like a 'ouch!'

''Oh sorry!'' (Am I really apologising to a cube!?)

The light faded and on top of the solved cube was a tiny, puffy, green and blue hummingbird. My eyes widened at the view. Was that really a... Did I really now have a... I couldn't belive my eyes!

''Thanks for saving me from my prison! I think we will become friend real fast, don't we?'' The small bird said

''Are you really a.... a...''

''Familiar? Well, of course I am!''

The tiny bird then flew around the apartment and stoped in front of my face. I always find it amazing how hummingbirds could flying in a stationnary position... And they were also really fast... Like me. I raised my hand for the little bird to land on it ''So you now are my... familiar?''

''If you want me to...'' 

''Of course I want to!''

I stood up in excitement. A familiar! It was so rare to have one! And me, the most untalented sorcerer of the city now had one! I had to go back to the shop and give that shopkeeper a big hug! My parents might finally be proud of me... But at the same time, I didn't really care about that. I finally had what I always wanted : a friend... I mean a familiar! ''Let's get you some food... or flowers... Which one do you want?''

I then headed out with my brand new familiar. 

It was the best weekend of my life!