Week 41: Camp fire

Prompt: You get lost in the woods during a hike. It's starting to get dark, when you see the glow of a camp fire nearby.

A/N: I already had that spooky prompt and I found two others halloweeny/scary prompts. I like halloween so I'm excited for this month!

----

I knew this was a bad idea. Everything that happened told me to go back to bed but noooo I had to be an indepedent women that can do everything on her own! Well guess what girl, you are lost now. In the middle of nowhere and nobody knows where you are! All your friends cancelled last minute, the spot your normally go hiking was closed, but no you had to google another spot to go. And even if you saw how shady that place was you still went and now... The trail is long gone and you have no idea where you are!

I'm getting tired and I have to think about spending the night outside. I try to remember every survival tips that I learned over the years when Inotice a small dancing light in the distance. I walk toward it and as I get closer, I can see that it's a fire camp. I walk faster and scream out ''HI! I think I'm lost can you help-'' I get dizzy for a split second and I can feel myself slowly falling down. Fortunately, someone catch me before I hit my head on the ground and I regain my balance right after ''Thanks.'' I say to the person who caught me. My eyes goes wide when I notice how the people around the camp fire look like. It's still a bit early to do a halloween party, but their costumes are so realistic! One has really beautiful butterfly wings ,another has pointy ears and the last one has a bluish skin and completly dark eyes. I can't help but compliment their costumes and they all give me that confused look, making my anxiety go up a notch, fearing I said something wrong. The one with wings walks closer to me and says ''You look human.''

''Huh, thanks, I guess?'' I answer.

''Oh no! She is human!'' The one that caught me replies with horror on their face. They even rubs their arms like they are trying to get rid of the''human'' that I stuck on them.

''How did you get here?'' Pointy ears ask with anger in their voice.

''I don't know! I got lost and I saw your fire and I came to ask for help. What is going on?''

''You are not hurting another one of us this time!'' Butterfly wings shout out while flying up above me. They then shoot something out of their hands toward me that I barely manage to dodge and I just start running. I hope I'm going back from where I came. It's almost completly dark now and I can barely see in front of me.

I run and I run, tripping on roots and branches but I keep going. I can't hear anything behind me, but I am so scared to look back and see them chasing me. I finally come across what looks like a small trail and I follow it, hoping it will bring back to that shady parking lot. Anything but where I just came from. I bump into something, making me fall on my butt and I scream at the top of my lungs, covering myself with my arms the best I can ''Please don't kill me!''

''Hey, Lou it's okay, it's me!''

I look back up only to see my bestfriend in front of me. I jump on my feet and wrap my arms around her, more like to make sure that she is really here than to give her a hug. She puts her arms around me and try to confort me. Telling me to follow her breathing and that she is here now and everything is fine. Once I'm finally able to talk again I ask her ''How did you find me?''

''You sent me your location like we always do when we are going out and when I saw that you didn't tell me you were back home after dinner, I drove all the way here to see if you were okay. When I saw your car still in the parking lot I freaked out a bit. Are you okay?'' She is right. I completly forgot about that since I do it all the time. I do it without even thinking anymore.

''No... I'm not okay... I don't know what happened but...'' but I can't talk anymore, I'm too overwhelmed. She helps me to go back to my car and we sit in front of each other for a while. She parked her car right next to mine to we are both sitting in our car with the doors open to protect us from the outside world. Well atleast it looks it it so it helps me to calm down.

Once I'm finally calm enough and I ate a few bites of the sandwich she brought me, I explain everything that I went through. How I got lost and the three... creatures that I saw. Everything sounds so un real but it did happen to me. Mythical creatures exist. I look my friend in the eyes and she gives me a tight hug ''I believe you, okay. It's sound crazy but I believe you. We can come back tomorrow if you want and try to find out-''

''NO! No, I don't ever what to come back here! Please don't make me come back here!''

''Okay, okay. We won't then. It's okay.''

We sit there for a bit longer until I am finally able to drive home. My friend is drive right behind me and she makes sure I get in my appartment safely before driving away. She is so amazing and I feel so lucky to have her. I take a shower and try to forget everything that happen so I can get a few hours of sleep... Hoping that I won't dream of evil fairies and goblins going after me...

---

As the two cars slowly drive away, the two silhouettes that were watching them slowly walk to the small information booth and put the small warning sign back on door. They will have to find a better way to keep it on so no more humans would come here ''We should have completly blocked the road like I told you!'' The taller silhouette hiss to the small one ''Only more would come to clear the way... No, we will have to find something else to keep them away.''

That was a close one this time. Luckily for them the human didn't want to come back... Who knows what would have happened if they decided to come back tomorrow...