Week 24: No mourners

Prompt:"He's been dead for ten years," said the little old lady, looking at you with concern.

A/N: I'm almost half way done with this challenge! I'm proud of what I did so far. I really think I'm getting better even if I still make some mistakes. I hope you are enjoying my stories as mush as I do!

----

Steve was a bit nervous for his first day at his new job. He was already deep under the ground, all the way down this underground mine. It wasn't his first time doing this job, but a new place and new coworkers was always stressfull for him. He got around the place quite quickly and was able to walk around on his own really fast. He was currently sitting at the back of the break room, eating his lunch on his own when someone stood in front of him ''New here?''

''Yup! I'm Steve'' Steve answered, giving his new coworker a quickglance. He was older than him, by the way he looked, the man could be his father ''I'm Pat, if you need anything, I will be around!'' and Pat walked away without waiting for an answer. Steve thought it was a bit weird, but maybe Pat was an introvert just like him. Good, no small talk or anything. He took a mental note to stick around this man to avoid any awkward social interaction!

The weeks went by really well for Steve, he got along with his other coworkers, but it was with Pat that he got along the most. The old man was really nice and not too talkative. They would spent most of their lunch break sitting at the back of the room, not really talking or anything, only enjoying each other's company. Steve was so glad to finally meet someone who is not afraid of the silent. Silent is good, it helps to think and clear your mind. But for some reasons, people always felt like they had to fill the silent with nonsense conversations.

One day, as Steve was getting ready to go back to the upper world, Pat ran up to him ''Hey bud, do you think you can swing by my place to get my tux? I have a wedding righ tafter my night shift and I won't have time to go back home and get it''

''Oh, yeah of course, I don't mind. What's your address?''

Pat gave his address and they both went on their way. Once Steve was in his car, he put the location in his google map app and was glad to see it wasn't that far. Pat said her wife never learned how to drive, that's why she couldn't come and bring it to him. He drove all the way to this old and small blue house and knocked on the door. Steve was a bit surprised by the age gap between Steve and his wife Marie ''Huh, hi. I'm Pat's coworker and he asked me to bring his tux for tomorrow's wedding that he forgot.''

''Is this some kind of joke!?'' Marie said with a mix of anger, surprise and sadness in her tone.

''I... don't think so? I mean that's what he told me... I-''

"He's been dead for ten years," said the little old lady, looking at him with concern now, the anger slowly fading away. Steve was in shock, he tried to keep his balance with his hand on the doorframe ''He's... what now?''

''You really talked to him?'' she asked, Steve didn't want to give her hope or anything, but he did talk to someone named Pat. She gestured him to come inside and told him to sit on the couch while she brought him a glass of water. She then went to grab a photo on the fireplace mantle and gave it to him without a word. He looked at the picture. It was Pat his coworker with a younger looking Marie smiling for the camera. Steve wasn't able to say a word, so he only nodded and gave the picture back. Marie pulled the picture to her heart and sighed as she was sitting down on a small chair beside the couch. There was a long silence, both not knowing what to say. For the first time ever, Steve decided that he would be the one breaking it  ''What happened?'' his voice was only a whisper, but she still heard him. She looked at him and explained that, ten years ago was one of their daughter's wedding and he really did forget his tuxedo at home. He asked one of his close friend and coworker to come and get it, but when his friend came back to the mine to leave it in his locker... The mine was in shutdown due to an underground accident. She couldn't go on, but Steve understood. The mines are really safe, but you never know when an accident can happen, like in every job. But when you're under the surface, you can't always get the necessary help in time.

Another silent grew between them. After a while she stood up straight in front of Steve ''Can you help him? Please?''

Steve was a bit suprised by the change in the small lady in front of him. She looked so defeated and heartbroken a few seconds ago and now, he could hardly recognize her ''I can try.''

''Th enext time you see him, tell him 'No mourners'.''

''No mourners?''

She nodded and explained that they both loved this book called Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. The characters always said that as a kind of goodbyes. Marie and Pat also always believed in spirits and ghosts and they promised each other that if one of them were to get stuck here after they passed...The other would tell them this... So the other would understand that it was time to go. Steve couldn't help but smile a little, they were so close and so alike. He knew for sure how much Pat loved Marie. It was one of his only subject of conversation: how wonderful his wife was. They talked a little bit more and before leaving, Steve promised he would tell Pat the words to help him pass to the Other Side.

When he was alone in his car, he thought of Pat again and everything made so much more sense now. He never actually saw Pat working or anything, only walking around or sitting with him in the break room. He never ate either and the other coworkers never talked about him or to him either. He thought that was only because he was an introvert, but now it made more sense... or not... Steve shook his head and tried to not think too much about this whole after life thing. He never really had an opinion about this 'I will believe it when I see it' he always said, but now that he saw it... He didn't know what to think. He drove back home and tried to sleep, because the next day should be hard for him... And for Pat too...

And just as he expected, on his next shift, Pat passed by him in the break room as he always did. He couldn't bring himself to tell him right away what Marie asked him to say so he asked the first thing that came to his mind ''How was the wedding?''

''Oh...huh... Great! Yeah... Really fun. Thanks for the tux by the way!'' Steve only noded, now he knew for sure that what Marie told him wasn't some kind of prank or joke. He never brought the tuxedo... And Pat never attempted the wedding, that's why he had this confused look on his face. Steve kept talking ''Marie is really nice like you told me. We talked for a bit and she asked me tell you, huh, no... mourners.''

''No mourners?''

''No mourners.''

Pat looked at him confused, he laughed a bit. But when he saw how serious Steve was, he stopped. He looked around and then down at his own hands. He half laughed and hald cried and simply said in a whisper ''No funerals.'' and he left the room without looking back. Steve stayed in the room for much longer that he was supposed to, but he couldn't get himself to stand back up and go on with his normal day... But when one of the supervisor gave him side eyes he stood up and went back to his work. He didn't see Pat for the rest of the day and he also felt a change in the air. Like something was gone. Maybe it was only his imagination, but he kind of knew he was gone.

After his shift, he drove back to the small blue house to tell everything to Marie. When he told her that he said 'No funerals' she burst outi n tears, both of relief and sadness. Her husband was on the Other Side now. She thanked him and offered him some home made cookies for his ride back home. He took them and went on his way. He did pass by from time to time to see Marie and have a little talk. They both experienced something special and he knew he couldn't talk about this to anyone else. They became friends really fast ''Because friendship doesn't care about age'' she always said ''And you're never too old for young adult fantasy books!'' she kept going as she handed him the Six of crows so he could read it too. Steve never really like to read, but this book was really good... And it had a special meaning to him.

---

A/n I finished early! I'm so proud of myself. I have a follower now, so I have to finish my stories on time now. Thanks for the boost of motivation!