Week 49: Tradition

Prompt: Write a story about someone breaking a long family tradition.

A/N: This is kind of a writer's block. I'm going to show you the backstory of my brand new Dnd character! It kind of fit this prompt and I'm really excited about this game! I can't wait to play!!

----

I remember the moment I was born really well. I always thought it was weird how most of the Livings creatures couldn't remember much from their early years of life. The first time I gained consciousness, I was in the body of a really small automaton, only one or two feet tall. My creator, or what you could call my ''dad'' welcomed me to the World and explained to me how he was able to catch a dying soul and put it in the body that I had instead of letting it completly vanish from existence. It was the remaing 'life' in it that gave me mine. I was not exactly this soul since I didn't have any memory from my 'past life' but it might influence my personally. He also showed me how to walk around this flying city and ask for my brothers and sisters's help to build me a bigger and more suitable body for myself.

In the first years of my live, I quickly realised how much I loved to learn about the Living creatures. As the other automatons would build me a bigger body, with proper arms and legs, I would always ask them to bring me to the library and ask for all the books about the History, the Races, the Natures... Everything! By the age of fifteen, I finally had my finally body. I designed it myself with thei nspiration of all the images of the amazing Dragonborn! I now look exactly like one made of bronze. I really like this new body! It was also around that age that I ran out of things to read. And I really wanted to learn more about the Living creatures down there. I talked to one of my brother about it. He told me that the last time an automaton left the island, it was atleast a hundred year ago. No other automatons wanted to leave the safety of the flying island. And because leaving also met that we could never come back since the Island is way too high to ever be able to come back...

But I was still too curious, I walked this island over and over again. I knew each and every corner of it. I needed something new. My brother looked at me for a few seconds and we he realised that I was serious about this, he showed me a side of the library about Politics and Other ways of living and told me to study everything really carefully if I wanted to be able to blend in with the Living people. It took me a whole year, to do so and I was finally good to go. I said my goodbye to everyone and I jumped over the edge, waiting for the impact of the wated on my metallic skin. When I finally fell in the water and reached the surface again, I was more than surprised to see that I only had water to my knees. I knew about this lake and how deep it was, this didn't make any sense. That was when I heard the voice of my creator in my head saying ''A little help so you can reach the city safely. But be aware, the next time you come here, you will drown all the way to the bottom, I won't help you.''

''Thanks and noted!'' I said while writing the warning in one of my many notebooks that I brought with me. I walked on the water until I reach the nearest city and I was not expecting anything of what I saw!

The Living people were not dressed at all like in the books that I read. Everything was so different! I looked around for any Dragonborn, but unfortunatly, I didn't see any. I kept my hopes up and looked around the city. Everything was so new and interesting. I was taking so much notes in case I ever found a way to come back, I would be able to explain everything that I saw to my brothers and sisters! I finally noticed something that I saw in my books: A theater! I walked in and remembered that I had to be quiet so I walked as quietly as I could and I finally saw someone dressed like they were supposed to be. I walked straight to them and I asked while showing my notebook ''Why are you not dressed like that?''

The person in armor looked at me with a weird look ''Well, those are really old fashion clothes. We don't wear those anymore.''

''Oh...So now you were clothes like those I saw outside?''

''Yes...I'm sorry but you look a bit... Strange.''

''Well maybe because I'm an automaton.''

The eyes of the armored guy opened really wide and he looked really excited ''We... We haven't seen one of your kind since... A hundred year ago, I think! Wow, it's an honore to meet you!''

I didn't really know what to say to that, I noticed really fast that an automaton was not something common in the Living World and everyone were looking at me strangely, but I kept waving back at them because I read that it was how the Living were saying ''Hi'' to each other.

I asked around for a library where I could learn more about Life and Deatha nd things like that and people always told me about this city not too far away. That was were most of the universities and libraries were, so I should try my luck there. So that was what I decided to do. I walked for a day or two until I came across a small village with field all around it. The way they were working the fields were so much differents than from what I learned! I spent a few time drawing and writing about everything before going on my way again.

After a few minutes of walking outside of the village, I saw a small Living child under a tree and when she noticed me, she ran down the small hill and stopped right in front of me ''YOU'RE A BRONZE DRAGONBORN!?'' she shouted at me.

''Not really, I'm an automaton.''

She gasped and walked all around me, grabbing my arms and my tail. I tapped the top of her head and asked ''Is that how you greet new people?''

''Huh...Yes?''

I nodded and took good note of everything until I finally noticed her eyes. They were purple and slitted like the eyes of a dragon. I got so curious about it and she explained to me that she got blessed by a dragon when she was born. I wasn't really satisfied with her explaination, but that was all she could tell me. I took a note in my notebook tol earn more about ''dragon blessing'' when I got the chance.

I went on my way and noticed that she was still following. I knew that young Livings shouldn't be left unsupervised and asked about her parents and she told me that they let her go the city nearby whenever she wanted. Luckily for me, it was the city I needed to go. She said that she would help me find what I was looking for. I was so glad to have found a friend and a guide! It would make this whole new experience easier.

Oh how I can't wait to see the World. To learn about Life and Death... Why Living people die so early and so easily... Why they can't just change their broken part like we do... So intriguing...

---

A/n There is so much more story about this character of mine, but I'm so tired and exhausted, it was a really hard and long week and I just can't write anymore for today... I hope you still enjoyed that little story.