Week 44: Sandwich

Prompt: While putting your favorite condiment on a sandwich, you accidentally make a magical occult symbol and summon a demon.

A/N: let's keep the ''spooky'' theme a bit longer! Because Halloween is fun!

----

Finally a whole weekend off all by myself! I didn't get to have a whole weekend off since forever and my plan is to do absolutely NOTHING! This is going to be the best weekend ever! I take a look in the fridge to see what I can eat for lunch. I don't have a lot, but I see that I have all the right ingredients to make the best sandwich ever. I take everything off the fridge and make my sandwich while watching random videos on my phone.

As I put a good amount of spicy mayo on top of my bread, I can feel the ground starting to shake and the lights flickering around me. I feel a bi tdizzy and put both my hands on the counter to regain my balance. Once this weird feeling is gone, I feel like someone is watching me so I look at the general direction where the feeling is coming from and I can't believe my eyes. I scream and jump on the counter out of fear, butter knife in hand and ready to fight this... this... creature that is standing in the middle of my living room. It looks like a man around my age wearing a really luxurious tuxedo, but their eyes are pitch black. They look at me with amusement and say with a guttural voice ''I haven't been summoned on this plan of existence since forever. So, my dear Human, what is it that you truly desire?''

I stare in silence and fear as I don't understand what is going on, so I say the only thing that come to my mind ''What are you doing in my house?''  in a really high pitched voice.

''You summoned me, my dear, so I ask this question right back at you, what am I doing here?''

I find this really hard to believe and I start to explain outloud what I was doing, I'm not sure if it's to explain to them what happened or to make it make sense in my head but here I am, blurting out everything that I did in lots of details. As I talk, they slowly walk closer to me and when I finally explain that I was putting spicy mayo on my sandwich to finish it, they burst out in laughter. I find it kind of rude that they are laughing at my sandwich like that. I put lots of effort in it! Once they are done laughing, they point at my sandwich and explain ''That is my symbol. You just made my symbol in spicy mayo? Oh wow, Humans are really my favorites!'' and they burst out laughing again and this time I can't help but laugh a bit too. I look at my sandwich and I finally see a symbol on it. I'm not quite sure how i managed to do this, but there it is.

I apologie over and over again for disturbing them,  my only intention was to make a sandwich, not summon some kind of.. huh... ''Demon, my dear. I'm a demon. Or atleast, that is how Humans call my kind.''

''Well, I don't really feel like trading my soul today, but you can have this sandwich if you want. I can make myself another one.''

The demon looks at me with this unreadable expression and after a really long and awkward silence, they tell me ''You know what, I think you're funny so I'm going to take that sandwich. Thank you my dear Human!'' They slam the piece of bread on top of the sandwich and take a big bite out of it ''You know, I never thought to make my own symbol in spicy mayo and let me tell you, it add a little something to it!''

''Oh well, you're welcome?''

They give me a small nod, snap their fingers and they disappear out of existence. I stare at nothing for a little while, not really sure if all of this really happened. But my dirty dishes and my empty stomach tell me that it was true. I shake my head and make another sandwich and this time, I make sure to not draw anything on my bread and I can finally eat in peace.

A few months goes by after this weird encounter and I finally have another whole weekend off. It was a really long and hard week at work and I don't really feel like spending time alone, but the only thought of going outside is killing me. And then an idea pops in my head. I rush to the kitchen and gather everything to make a sanwich. I have my spicy mayo on my knife and I try to remember the symbol that I did the last time. It takes a few tries but I can finally feel the ground shaking and the lights flickering. I look in my living room and here they are again with their arms crossed on their chest ''Well, Human, making a small snack again?''

''Yeah and huh...'' But the words get stuck in my throat. Now that the demon is in front of me, my idea looks really stupid and reckless.

''Well, use your words, Human. What do you want?''

I take a deep breath and decide to ask anyway, they are here so there is nothing much I can do now ''Do you want to watch a movie or something? It's been a long week, I don't really want to be alone.''

''Don't you have... What do you call those things... Friends! Yes, friends. Don't you have friends to hang out with?''

''...Not really, no...''

They give me this amused look and walk straight at me and stops only a few inches away from me. They stare at me for a good while and they finally let out a small laugh, grab the sanwich and say ''I pick the movie, you make the pop corn.'' and they walk back in the living room. I can't help but to smile widely. Did I just become friend with a demon? I guess I did!

---

A/n A day late again, but we are in big renovations in my house so... I didn't have time to think about anything else than the new floor and new paint and new kitchen. It's exciting but there is too many things to think about!