Week 29: Backstory

Prompt: Your fingers tensed around the object in your pocket, ready to pull it out at a moment's notice.

A/N: Back story time! Of Jamal and Terence from week 20! And also a little bit of Rose too. Enjoy!

----

Terence was staring out the window, waiting for his brother to come back. He was in college in another city and he missed his big brother very much. He was waiting for the familiar noise of his parent's car. His family was one of the few that could afford such luxury, everyone else was travelling either by bicycles or bus, and Terence was really good at guessing which car passed by only by the sound of it. When he heard the low rumbling of his parent's car engine, he rushed outside of the house and jumped in Jamal's arms as soon as he stepped out of the car ''BROTHER!''

''Hi, lil' bud. I missed you too.''

Their father let out a small laugh ''Oh no, not this time, Jammy! You are helping me unpack your stuff this time!''

The two brothers hugged each other a bit tighter and gave their father a heart breaking pleading look, but it failed miserably and they both had to help to bring all Jamal's bag and books back in his room. Terence still had about a month of high school, but as soon as he would be done with it, the two brothers would spend most of the summer together. Jamal was already planning everything out while Terence was studying for his exams. And at the last day of school, the two brothers managed to get their parent's blessing to go to their cottage right outside the city on their own. Their parents were a bit worried to let them go alone, there was a big storm coming after all and they never let the kids alone there. Jamal crossed his arms on his chest ''It's only a little bit of rain, we will stay inside while it pass and I am not a child anymore!''

''We know, sweetheart'' his mother said ''It just that you both will always be our little babies! So becareful out there!'' and she put them in a sweet embrace, that they both accepted before running to their room to get their stuffs ready for their weekend.

The next morning, their parents got the food and drink ready for them, gave them the 'becareful out there speech' one last time and the 'becareful on the road' one too before giving Jamal the car keys and they were both on their way. The ride went really well and they were at the cottage in no time. That's how their parents always called this place, but it was more like a castle. Gigantic rooms, almost all made of marbles and other pricy materials. There even was a fountain in the hall. It was all too much, but it was a nice and quiet place to relax and enjoy the nature around it. The two brothers were enjoying the late evening around the camp fire, grilling marshmallows. That was when the lightning and thunder began. They tried to ignore it, but after a few minutes, they saw that it was only getting worst so they headed back inside. When it started to rain, they sprinted the few feets they still had to make, but they never made it in time. Right in front of them, a spectral fog with white, blue and purple lightnings exploding around it grew and grew until it was big enough to swallow them both in it. they woke up the next morning still in front of the cottage, they felt all stiff and tired, but still alive and well. They both helped each other to walk inside, they took a look at themselves, trying to find any injuries, but they found nothing beside small bruises from sleeping on the ground and dark circles around their eyes. They still thought it would be wiser to end their small trip earlier and head back home to tell their parents about it.

They were lucky that their mother was a doctor, she did a full body exam on them and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. They decided to stay at home for the next few weeks, to make sure nothing bad happened in the long run. And something did  happen to them... Terence was the first one to notice. At first it was only impressions, like he could tell how his brother or parents felt. And then he felt something different and powerful irradiating from his brother. One day, they were helping their father to paint the living room.T heir father was all the way up the ladder to paint the ceiling while the two brothers were right beneath him. That's when Terence decided to talk about what he felt to his brother ''Do you feel...different... since the cottage?''