15. Keeping It Together

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Tomorrow sounds better... I decided. I didn't want to ruin this peaceful night.

"Are you hungry?" Jordan asked as he started putting his paints away.

I snapped out of my thoughts and checked the time. It was almost eight already. "I have enough food. I'm not letting you spend a dime on me anymore. You guys have it rough enough as it is," I told him. He looked like he was about to object, so I stopped him right there. "Please. I mean it."

He stared at me as long as his nerves let him, before letting out a sigh and turning away. "Fine, fine... Are you still staying, or...?"

"Of course," I said.

Jordan went to get something to eat, and I sat down on one of the chairs, turning to admire the view. It was spectacular, to say the least. For a second, maybe two, I felt almost anxious. I had stayed in this neighborhood for what, four weeks now? That was a long time for me. I wasn't used to this, but I still had no regrets.

I turned to look inside, hoping to see Jordan, but he was still in his kitchen. I was about to ask what he was going to eat when I heard a silent creak somewhere close by. My heart skipped a beat and I froze still. It sounded like someone had opened a door or a window somewhere below me! Thank God they did so before I opened my mouth! I had completely forgotten to be careful not to be heard or seen. I couldn't believe it!

I listened to the sounds around me, but I couldn't hear any footsteps or anything else out of the ordinary. I could only hear Jordan. A part of me expected someone to come to his door and ask what was going on. Oh, I was a fool for letting my guard down. Thankfully, nothing bad happened, and I started to relax. Maybe I had imagined the noise. Maybe it was just a tree whining in the light wind. Nonetheless, I had to make sure I kept my voice down from now on.

I waited until Jordan finished eating, but we didn't have much time to chat before his mother called him. I listened quietly while Jordan told her about his day – not mentioning me of course – just enjoying the fact I had something so amazing to look at. I had never felt anything like that about another person before. It was almost weird how hard I fell for him the second I saw him.

Once Jordan hung up, we only had a couple of minutes left before he had to start reading something, so it was about time I left.

"So. I'll see you tomorrow," I said quietly when he came closer to the wall.

He had a sad look on his face when he peered at me. "I hope so," he said softly.

"I will come back," I said reassuringly. "I'm not in a hurry to leave just yet."

"But you are leaving," he said, and I could tell by the sound of his voice he had hoped I had forgotten my plan.

"It's just for a week or two," I said, stepping closer to the wall.

"...okay."

"Jordan..." I sighed. "I'm doing it, so I can spend the winter here."

He didn't reply at first. He turned to look at his clock and took his time before he looked at me again. "I don't want to talk about it now," he said shortly.

"Okay."

"Just... promise me you'll come tomorrow," he said, sounding almost desperate.

"Of course I will come," I said, hoping that this time he believed me. Maybe he did since he nodded and gave me a small smile.

"Good," he muttered and checked the time again. "I need to..."

"Sure," I nodded, returning his smile. "I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight."