The Lonely Hours

***Darius Knight POV***

I sat in my castle, my home. My beautiful estate overlooked the pack house. I had so much more than I could ever imagine. I only wished for someone to share with. My Royal Pack was well taken care of. Their dual roles compensated quite richly.

My Royals were given homes and monetary compensation. They were afforded amenities many only dreamed of. They earned so much more than they would ever need. Each original member was summoned according to their strengths and characteristics. Gifted ones held higher ranks, but there was no low rank in the Royal Guard. Many had been born or sworn in as mates were found and pups were born. Any evil was banished into a rogue state.

I ruled with passion and authority. Nothing less than perfection was tolerated. It wasn't that I wanted to be so dominant, it was severely necessary. We were enchanted with the role of Judgement. Our authority brought justice and protection. We could not fail as that would disrupt two worlds.

Humans are frail beings. They were easily manipulated into many roles. Humans could not fend for theirselves when evil knocked at their door. My titles demanded that we protect humans and werewolves. It was endlessly daunting.

I am not complaining. I take pride in my accomplishments. Many have fallen at my hand, and justice was served. Many have risen at my command. I was a dual authority and I took my responsibilities with extreme pride.

Not once in my many centuries have I regretted my chosen form. I relished in my status as a Punisher and Protector. The results of my choices have saved thousands. I have been given the gift of purpose. I will not ever regret my choices.

I am lonely. I miss my mother. The pain of losing her never waivers. I got my retribution on her offender. It did little to ease my loss. I only removed him from this world to save others. The monster would never stop. He was a vile and disgusting creature. I witnessed his past as I laid my reign of death upon him. Not one ounce of mercy was granted from either him or I.

I spend my lonely hours with my pack. It does help. They are an exquisite beauty in an otherwise dark hole. But, in the lonely hours of the night, while others sleep, I weep. Silent tears come and go as emptiness fills my soul.

I dream of comfort. I fantasize once again of a mate. I shouldn't, it is selfish. I cannot help myself. I want to be loved and to love in return. I want to fill my mate's voice with laughter. I want to cause joy to erupt from her soul. I want pups, my own little family to cherish for eternity. I want to have what everyone else around me has. I envy their happiness.

In the lonely hours, I am weak. I know this. When the sun rises again I mask my emptiness with my purpose. I'm sure my closer guards know much of my despair. I do not hide behind falsities. I am as real as I always was. I am open with my people. They deserve to know where my head is.

Although, some know of my worries, I never am looked upon with pity. They respect me and I respect them. We have all earned it time and time again. I am truly blessed. Just sad and lonely. I can't wait for morning.