7. Seeing a Ghost

Start from the beginning

I turned my attention back to the house. The maid was upstairs, cleaning the floors. She was probably the only one who was still getting paid, and it was bothering me. I wanted to know how they could afford to pay her. Unless she was doing it for free?

Everything about this whole thing bothered me. Why did things go so badly wrong with my plan? How could they still seem so rich, even though they couldn't even afford food?

But it was Jordan who bothered me the most.

What was with the third floor? What was his deal? Why had I not seen him even once? Why didn't I know he lived there? Was he grounded? Was he one of those who couldn't go outside at all? Did he have some kind of deadly sickness? Was that why I'd never seen him downstairs, or anyone else going up to him?

"Aww crap..." I sighed.

Was that beautiful man dying? The third floor was technically a fully equipped apartment. There was everything he could possibly need to live the rest of his life without stepping outside even once. Mrs. Simmons had often said she wished she could see him... If he lived right there on the third floor...?

Was he actually dying? Did I make things worse for him?  

That thought brought down my mood so hard I shivered. I really wished I was wrong, but what else could explain everything? Jordan seemed thin and pale, and he had fainted. I really wished I hadn't made things worse for him by walking in his home. I had heard of people who had no immunity against diseases, and even simple flu could kill them. God knows how many germs I had brought with me into Jordan's home.

Another thing bothered me about him. I'd been in their home, and Jordan saw me. I wasn't sure if Jordan had called the cops on me, but no one in the family seemed scared or worried or even upset – almost like they didn't even know I'd been there. Knowing that someone had broken into their home, even when nothing was stolen, usually made people scared. The Simmons family didn't look shaken at all. I had assumed they would be panicking right about now, but... nothing.

Was it possible that Jordan hadn't told anyone about me? Had he hit his head when he fainted and couldn't remember me at all? Maybe?

There were so many questions, and I needed answers. I'd go nuts trying to figure out this family if I didn't even try to find out what was going on.

*****

I patiently waited for the sun to set, keeping my eyes on the family. No one did anything unusual. Mr. Simmons came home late and locked himself in his office to yell on the phone. He looked really stressed and pissed, and I assumed it was all about money again.

Mrs. Simmons was in her office, looking miserable and tired while going over her papers. She always had a lot of paperwork. After seeing the huge piles of documents and pay-checks on her desk, I didn't wonder why. It seemed like the CEO herself was also the accountant and the secretary. I felt bad for her, knowing she spent every minute of her day trying to keep her business from falling apart.

Joyce was allowed to leave the house again, and I spotted her packing her work uniform in her bag before she left the house. I couldn't blame her for partying so hard. Someone at her age should still be in school, not working to help support her family. She really needed to blow off some steam.

Jamie, on the other hand, seemed to be quite a happy little girl. I had the feeling she didn't even understand how bad their situation was. She was in her room, doing homework with her friend, probably chatting about ponies again.

They all were busy minding their own business, so I hid my stuff under the shrubbery and started sneaking down the hill. Soon, I ran across the yard and dove under the bushes near the corner of the house, and after taking a look around, climbed the vine. I stopped to a halt when I reached the cameras and took a closer look at them. I hesitated before touching the other one.