1. Smooth Criminal

Start from the beginning

I moved around a lot, never staying too long in one location. I wasn't welcomed anywhere, so I had to keep moving. I usually spent a few weeks in one place, stealing what I needed to get by, and when the police got too close, I ditched the town and started again somewhere else. I was just a petty thief, no one important or to be concerned about, so the cops weren't in a hurry to catch me. That, or I was even more clever than I thought.

I spent the day wandering around the busy streets, getting to know my new surroundings. I'd never been there before, so I took my sweet time looking around. I always stayed in bigger cities – strangers were easily spotted in small towns.

The big cities had their downsides, of course. There were more witnesses, more cameras, more security, and people were used to look out for thieves. There were also other criminals, and they were protective over their territories. It was important for someone like me to know which part of the city belonged to whom. I was on good terms with a few gangs, so I usually stayed in areas that belonged to them – or at least tolerated their members. I knew this city was home to a gang that would most likely let me stay in their territory, so I tried to search for their signs.

This was all familiar to me. Over the years, I'd learned to get by. Mom had been practically homeless too, and that was pretty much everything I knew about her. She abandoned me when I was around five years old. Or then she died. I never heard from her after she disappeared, so it was entirely possible she got herself killed.

After losing her, I had to take care of myself. I had no one else to turn to. Except for the other homeless people who had taken this miserable kid under their wings. But I didn't feel sorry for myself. My life was pretty perfect with no worries or attachments. I was free to go wherever I wanted and do whatever I pleased. Even though I was alone, I didn't feel lonely. I could strike a conversation with anyone anywhere and stay for a chat before continuing my way.

Life was supposed to be an adventure, and I wasn't the type of person who wanted to settle down.

As I was standing in the middle of a street that was lined with different restaurants, comparing their menus, I spotted an attractive woman eyeing at me with a tempted smile on her face. I smiled back at her, knowing I could have an easy place to stay for the night if I went to chat her up. Another reason why I felt blessed over my good looks.

But I didn't feel like it this time, I rarely did, so I just turned my back on her. I'd met girls and even a few guys to have fun with, but I never felt the urge to commit to one person or even stay around long enough to know more than just their names. I loved my life as a lone wolf.

Company often meant trouble, after all. I once tried to pull a gig with another thief, but it had been a total disaster. I barely walked out free. The other guy got caught because of his stupid mistake that involved a jewelry store with motion sensors. I never made that same mistake again – I never tried to rob another jewelry store either.

And if joining forces with other criminals was bad enough, relationships were even worse. Why would anyone want to get caught in one? I was as free as anyone could ever be, so why would I trade that away for such a fleeting thing as love?

I chuckled quietly at the thought of it. Relationships were for people with nothing else to do. Having a companion meant selling my soul to that person, and mine wasn't for sale. Relationships were traps to bind people to one place where they were forced to have a job, wear a tie and buy a nice house in the suburbs. A relationship was nothing but an endless lawn to mow, and the days would repeat themselves in an endless loop. I had seen thousands of husbands pushing their lawnmowers day after day, walking around the same yard day after day, being tied to that noisy thing day after day, losing the last bit of freedom and will to escape.