fifty-six ☆ he who shall not be named

MARCH

narrator's pov:

"good morning, riverview high students," a representative of the a.v. club remarked over the loudspeakers, "today we have a big announcement, but that will be saved for the end."

the students groaned, but still payed attention to the other announcements. everyone was curious as to what the big declaration would be.

"and now, for the big announcement," the representative declared, "junior and senior prom is official! the confirmed date is friday, may 15th, 2020. the theme will be a starry night, and prom court selections will be announced in a few weeks. more prom information will be announced as the event comes closer. get excited!"

those in the junior and senior classes immediately started cheering. prom season is the most hyped time at riverview, and the students were enthusiastic.

-

"alright, you guys need to help me ask waverly to prom," jonah declared, placing his books down on the lunch table.

"yay! prom season is so fun," chloe replied, "what are you envisioning?"

"definitely something big," jonah answered.

"wait, but how big?" jack questioned, "like, ask her in front of the whole school with a huge gesture, or get her a puppy?"

"what if you get her a puppy, and give it to her in front of the entire school?" daniel suggested, "then, you can right a corny pun on a poster like prom would be 'ruff' without you."

"now that is an epic promposal," corbyn remarked, putting his hands on the table.

"is anyone else asking someone to prom?" jonah inquired, looking around at his five best friends.

"well, obviously i'm going with chloe," zach replied, putting his arm around his girlfriend, "and i'm going to do a big gesture, but i'm not going to say when, where, or how."

chloe pouted, "aw, but i wanted to know."

"daniel, are you asking anyone?" jonah inquired.

the blonde shrugged, "should i ask mackenzie? i mean, i haven't had an actual conversation with her since new year's. we're kind of drifting apart."

"if your heart tells you to ask her, then go for it," corbyn replied.

daniel nodded, "what about you, jack?"

"i'm asking ashley," jack remarked.

corbyn rolled his eyes, "i still can't believe you guys are dating."

"i still can't believe you gave me your honor," jack chuckled.

"i'll do anything for my sister, but you better ask her in the best way possible, or i'm going to make you guys breakup," corbyn declared.

"yes, sir," jack replied.

meanwhile, lillian's group of friends were having the same exact conversation.

"prom season!" waverly cheered, "it's the most wonderful time of the year."

"are you guys hoping anyone asks you?" charlotte inquired.

"well, we all know that jonah is going to ask waverly," mackenzie pointed out, "after the way he asked her to the winter dance, i'm expecting something big."

waverly smiled, "i really hope he asks me."

"charlotte, anyone on your mind?" lillian queried.

the brunette shook her head, "i haven't been talking to any guys since daniel."

after hearing daniel's name, mackenzie awkwardly played with her fingers as the rest of the girls talked about prom.

"um, do you think he who shall not be named will ask you?" waverly questioned lillian.

lillian shrugged, "i hope he doesn't. after talking to him a few weeks ago, i felt weird."

"maybe because you still have feelings?" charlotte suggested.

"no way," lillian scoffed, "even if it was over two months ago, it still affects me. i don't like him like that, and if anything, i don't think i'll even be friends with him again."

"lily, you have to talk to him eventually," mackenzie joined in, "he's going off to college, and so are daniel and jonah. don't you want to say goodbye?"

lillian shook her head, "i pretty much said goodbye to him on new year's."

"yeah, but don't you want to say your final goodbyes?" waverly mentioned.

"i don't think corbyn and i will ever go back to how were three months ago," lillian declared, "and i don't think we ever will."

...